This page aims to help you remove CryLocker for free. Our instructions also cover how any CryLocker file can be recovered.
Ransomware infections are on the rise at the present moment. The problem, though, is not in their constantly growing number, but in their disturbing nature. CryLocker which we are going to discuss in the paragraphs below is also a type of Ransomware and all the corresponding negative effects of these viruses can also be noted in its usual behavior: encryption of files, sneaking into your PC without your informed approval, exploiting a certain vulnerability, and sending blackmailing messages with detailed content about the payment of the required ransom. Ransomware in general and CryLocker particularly are reviewed in detail in the article below.
General review of Ransomware
This is a type of software, identified as malicious, which was initially a rising threat at the end of the 20th century in Russia. From them until now the programs from this malware group have constantly been evolving. Nowadays, several subtypes of Ransomware can be distinguished:
- The most common kind – file-encryption Ransomware. This subfamily of viruses is responsible for locking up the files on your PC. This means that these programs will scan the whole content of your computer and will specifically choose such data, which in most cases is very important to you. Then the encryption progresses with the locking up of these files with a special key, consisting of two components (one private and the other – public). After this process is completed, CryLocker usually displays a notification that lets you know about the contamination, blackmails you for a certain amount of money and usually includes various payment details like preferred currency or a deadline. Sometimes this ransom alert may contain the public component of the used key.
- Some Ransomware programs have been specifically developed to assist government agencies in their fight against pirating and violating human rights. This means that there are programs based on Ransomware, which block the screen of users who are doing something illegal and their actions are detected by the agency that is responsible for dealing with such crimes.
- There once existed screen-locking Ransomware. In fact, the programs based on it could just block your monitor and prevent you from opening anything – no files get encrypted, just your screen gets locked. Nowadays there are hardly any infections with this version of malware.
- Of course, there is a version of Ransomware that attacks mobile phones. Its principles are the same – it encodes the device for real and after that demands money in exchange for the decryption key that gives the user back their control over a given device. It is also a pretty common infection.
What kind of virus is CryLocker?
It belongs to the file-encrypting version of Ransomware and functions exactly as it has been described in the first paragraph. What additional details you should know about this program is that it gets spread around the web together with a Trojan. The two awful kinds of malware may get distributed in various ways, the most common ones being emails and their attachment, no matter whether we are talking about an image, an entire archive or a kind of a document.
What about simply paying the necessary ransom and curing the infection with CryLocker Ransomware in this way?
Unfortunately, this scenario of just paying and getting your files back may not be your specific case. Sometimes it doesn’t work that way. Neither the payment, nor the avoidance of completing one may give you back the access to your files. Everything depends on the initial intentions of the hackers. This is what makes infections with Ransomware so terrible and CryLocker is no exception – absolutely no action against this virus guarantees you success in decrypting your encoded data.
What we should say here is that the decision of how exactly you will risk your encrypted files – by paying the ransom or by refusing to do so, is totally up to you. Our honest advice is not to pay before you try dealing with the contamination using other means – a special type of software, a Removal Guide like the one below or an expert to clean your PC from this threat. This is recommended because by paying the hackers, you may only encourage them to try this harassment technique on more people. Also, when it comes to removing this infection, don’t forget to clean your computer from the Trojan that may have accompanied CryLocker as well, because if these two infections or even just one of them remain on your machine, you may have even more serious trouble. But first of all, try our own Guide below to remove CryLocker and at least make an effort to save your files.
|Danger Level||High (Ransomware is by far the worse threat you can encounter)|
|Symptoms||Nothing special happens before the popping up of the notifying message about the infection and the demanded ransom.|
|Distribution Method||Typically inside an email or as an attachment. Also could be found in torrents, various websites.|
|Detection Tool||parasite may be difficult to track down. Use SpyHunter - a professional parasite scanner - to make sure you find all files related to the infection.|
CryLocker Ransomware Removal
Some of the steps will likely require you to exit the page. Bookmark it for later reference.
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
A new file will open. If you are hacked, there will be a bunch of other IPs connected to you at the bottom. Look at the image below:
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Go in Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer.
- Please note that ransomware may even include a fake Manufacturer name to its process. Make sure you check out every process here is legitimate.
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC simultaneously. Go to the Processes Tab. Try to determine which ones are a virus. Google them or ask us in the comments.
WARNING! READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING!
We get asked this a lot, so we are putting it here: Removing parasite manually may take hours and damage your system in the process. If you want a fast safe solution, we recommend SpyHunter.
We get asked this a lot, so we are putting it here: Removing parasite manually may take hours and damage your system in the process. If you want a fast safe solution, we recommend SpyHunter.>> Click to Download Spyhunter. If you don't want this software, continue with the guide below.
Right click on each of the virus processes separately and select Open File Location. End the process after you open the folder, then delete the directories you were sent to.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter. Once inside, press CTRL and F together and type the virus’s Name.
Search for the ransomware in your registries and delete the entries. Be extremely careful – you can damage your system if you delete entries not related to the ransomware.
Type each of the following in the Windows Search Field:
Delete everything in Temp. The rest just check out for anything recently added. Remember to leave us a comment if you run into any trouble!
How to Decrypt files infected with CryLocker
We have a comprehensive (and daily updated) guide on how to decrypt your files. Check it out here.
Did we help? Share your feedback with us so we can help other people in need!