Echtspecials is page-rerouting software that is essentially not malicious and is mainly designed to redirect users’ search queries to pre-defined web locations. Echtspecials can typically display different click prompts, pop-up messages, ads, banners and sponsored links all over the web browser’s screen in an attempt to make web users interact with them.
However, online users should always be cautious of fraudulent operations such as Echtspecials, Basicsprogram.com, Gokoayz online stores that claim to offer a range of products at very low prices. Our investigation into the site suggests that it may be a scam. For one, the site uses the logo of “Dick’s Sporting Goods” in an attempt to mislead customers into thinking it is a legitimate store. This unauthorized use of the well-known brand’s logo is a major red flag and suggests that the site is not to be trusted.
The risks associated with shopping on a fraudulent website like Echtspecials include the possibility of receiving counterfeit goods or nothing at all from the same store. This is a serious concern for online shoppers, as they run the risk of losing their hard-earned money.
To help you solve these problems and get rid of the unwanted changes, we have included a comprehensive removal guide and some safety tips that may be worth your attention if you want to keep browser hijackers like this one away from your computer in the future.
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Echtspecials!
How to remove Echtspecials
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Echtspecials in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Echtspecials from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
If you have a Mac virus, please use our How to remove Ads on Mac guide.
If you have an Android virus, please use our Android Malware Removal guide.
If you have an iPhone virus, please use our iPhone Virus Removal guide.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Echtspecials.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Echtspecials.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Echtspecials from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Echtspecials extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to Echtspecials and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Echtspecials on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Echtspecials extension
- Get rid of Echtspecials by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “Echtspecials” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Echtspecials
- Open task manager
- Look for the Echtspecials process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Echtspecials
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “Echtspecials” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- Each file will be scanned with up to 64 antivirus programs to ensure maximum accuracyThis scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users.This file is not matched with any known malware in the database. You can either do a full real-time scan of the file or skip it to upload a new file. Doing a full scan with 64 antivirus programs can take up to 3-4 minutes per file.Drag and Drop File Here To ScanAnalyzing 0 s
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Echtspecials
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Echtspecials in there
- Uninstall Echtspecials from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Echtspecials-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Echtspecials in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
What is Echtspecials?
Turning back to Echtspecials, in general, this type of software is classified as a browser hijacker and its potentially intrusive pop-ups ads and unwelcome web browser changes are probably what is causing your recent web surfing disturbance. You may have noticed that your main search engine has been replaced with a different one and the homepage URL has been modified to another domain. Or, you may have already experienced some random automatic redirects to sites that you never had the intention to visit.
When you first encounter Echtspecials, you may easily mistake it for a redirect virus or some form of malware simply because its ad-generating activities are typically very aggressive. Usually, it is very hard to remove the pop-up messages that this software generates, let alone to uninstall the browser modifications it has imposed. In reality, however, Echtspecials is nothing more than an irritating source of web browsing distraction that floods the screen with pay-per-click ads and page-redirect prompts that are hard to close.
Is Echtspecials dangerous?
Unlike real computer threats, from the rank of Trojans, Ransomware and other viruses, this program is generally harmless and cannot perform any destructive actions while on your computer. Still, if such a browser hijacker is left in the system for long, it may compromise the computer’s overall performance. The different ads the hijacker tries to display can consume a large portion of the system’s resources which can lead to unresponsiveness to other commands, significant lags and sudden crashes of the web browser that has been hijacked. Such issues, though not fatal for the system, can definitely be irritating and can be a good reason to uninstall a program like Echtspecials.