Fruit Basket Overview
- Fruitbasketsite.com is the homepage of a virus that riddles your PC with intrusive advertisements. Removing it will probably not pose much of a challenge for anyone who has encountered a malware before, so don’t worry and just follow the steps below.
- Regardless of my first point, you should move a s quickly as possible – the longer it remains, the higher possibility it will do something really troublesome to your system. Be alert at all times, and ignore all messages that start appearing on your browser and screen.
- We researched the Fruit Basked virus – the advertisements usually offer to you are products you may be interested in or viewing on other sites (like amazon). The competitive prices displayed are real, as far as we could evaluate, but that doesn’t mean they are “pure” in the sense that, even if the discounted products will be delivered, some of the links leading to them definitely ARE corrupted.
- Fruit Basket serves as a front door for other, more dangerous viruses.
How Fruit Basket Works
The first thing you should not here, are the intentions of whoever created Fruit Basket. No matter what the thing says, its ultimate goal is to aggressively promote affiliate websites. The problem is that, since the advertisements truly are intrusive, most users try to remove the application. So if you were creating a malware, what would you do? The answer is, create a tool that riddles with advertisements, but also ensures that getting rid of them is not overtly easy. There is no off switch, and as long as it remains it will try to manipulate you into installing other viruses of its kind – if you’re lucky. This is done via banners that display messages that you’re missing a plugin or that your player is outdated. All fakes, these. They will download an executable malware as soon as you click them. So refrain from doing so.
Now I’ll explain what I mean by “if you’re lucky.” If you’re lucky, you get another virus that basically serves as a promotional tool. If you’re not – there are many such cases – you may end up with not just another Fruit Basket, but rather a more sophisticated real virus. The kind you really don’t want. The most dangerous types are:
- Ransomware – the ones that lock up your personal files and make your PC unusable and ask for a ransom payment in the form of money or bitcoins (seriously, lol).
- Or what I call “Lurkers.” There’s no official name for these, because they are rare. They collect your personal data, accounts, passwords, your address, all the wrong stuff (wrong for you). Then at some point they send them back to the creators and if they can do something with the information – a nightmare if they can steal your online banking account.
Under this light, I guess contracting “just” Fruit Basket isn’t so bad.
How to Remove Fruit Basket
(Works for Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1)
You have now opened the Control Panel.
Find the virus and its buddies, you have reason to believe another malware has infiltrated you. But open your eyes – malware sometimes choose different names to hide in plain sighto Highlight anything you find, then Uninstall.
Fruit Basket has infected ALL of the browsers you use. So you need to apply these steps separately for each one you have installed.
For Internet Explorer Users:
Open IE, then click —–> Manage Add-ons.
Locate Fruit Basket in the new window. Also, search for others of its kind. Disable them.
Check you Home Page, if it was changed, click —–> Internet Options>edit the URL box, type your original one, then click Apply.
For Mozilla Firefox Users:
Open Firefox, click on (top right) ——-> Add-ons.
Hit Extensions next.
The virus should be somewhere around here – Remove it.
For Google Chrome Users:
Start Chrome, click —–>More Tools —–> Extensions.
When you’ve reached Extensions, find Fruit Basket ——-> select .
Now click again, and proceed to Settings —> Search (the fourth tab), select Manage Search Engines. In there, delete everything but the search engine you use.
For Safari Users:
Open Safari, and click Safari —–>Preferences —–> Extensions
Find Fruit Basket then Uninstall.
STEP 3 (Optional)
This step to remove the virus is completely optional. You need to do this only in the case when the steps up until now were not enough to make your troubles go away. If they WERE enough:
You are now clear of the virus. Please consider following us on our channels on Google+, Twitter and Facebook. It will be immensely appreciated, because it will help us grow and in turn – that way we will help more people.
You may also want to check out Step 4 – we’ve prepared a short guide for optimizing PCs after a malware has been removed
If you were not successful, then continue reading.
STEP 4 (Optional)
If you’ve reached this step, then well done for removing Fruit Basket. We’ve prepared a short and sweet optimization guide, specifically designed for users who just removed a virus. It is completely free, you do not need to download anything, and it’s not very time consuming. If you are interested you can check it out here.