Produkey is not a virus, but is very often maliciously exploited as a hacking tool to enumerate keycodes of software, which can then be used to pirate that software. This is the reason why Produkey will be flagged as genuinely dangerous, or as a virus, or as a PUP.
If you are a regular computer user and want to protect your computer from unexpected and irreparable damage, it is best to never find a Trojan Horse on it. The members of this malware category are so disruptive and so hard to spot that even experienced computer security professionals would have trouble dealing with them. But you’ve most definitely been faced with one of the recent Trojan threats the name of which is Produkey Virus since you have landed on this article. That’s why, in the following lines, we will provide you with details regarding the malicious features of Produkey Virus and the most quick and effective ways to remove it in case that it has nested inside your system.
What you will find below is a removal guide that includes a set of directions which can be of great help in identifying and removing the stealthy malware. However, when you deal with a highly sophisticated Trojan Horse, such as Produkey Virus, it is better to use a professional malware removal tool, such as the one given in the guide, to quickly deal with the virus without major risk for your system. This tool will search the whole system carefully and enable you to detect and remove all the malicious scripts related to the malware, which is the main challenge in most of the cases.
One of the toughest problems that the victims of Trojans have to deal with is the correct detection and deletion of the Trojan-related files, as this malware will normally always hide deep inside the machine and mask itself as standard system file or processes in order to linger within the machine for longer. Unfortunately, you can’t depend on particular symptoms to detect the virus on your own. A threat like Produkey Virus will most probably not show any questionable behavior or indications that can give away its presence. That is why it is so critical that you arm yourself with reliable protection tools that defend you against new threats, such as Produkey Virus, and identify them quickly before they complete their illegal tasks.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Produkey Virus!
How to remove Produkey Virus
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Produkey Virus in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Produkey Virus from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Produkey Virus.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Produkey Virus.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Produkey Virus from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Produkey Virus extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to Produkey Virus and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Produkey Virus on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Produkey Virus extension
- Get rid of Produkey Virus by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “Produkey Virus” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Produkey Virus
- Open task manager
- Look for the Produkey Virus process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Produkey Virus
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “Produkey Virus” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- Each file will be scanned with up to 64 antivirus programs to ensure maximum accuracyThis scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users.This file is not matched with any known malware in the database. You can either do a full real-time scan of the file or skip it to upload a new file. Doing a full scan with 64 antivirus programs can take up to 3-4 minutes per file.Drag and Drop File Here To ScanAnalyzing 0 s
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Produkey Virus
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Produkey Virus in there
- Uninstall Produkey Virus from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Produkey Virus-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Produkey Virus in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
What is Produkey Virus?
Malicious programs can disguise themselves as legitimate processes such as Produkey which a small utility that displays the ProductID and the CD-Key of Microsoft Office. Before taking drastic measure against Produkey virus make sure you are dealing with a malware because removing that process can cause problems with some other programs.
A common characteristic of the Trojan Horse infections is their flexibility with regards to the kinds of harm they can inflict. The pieces of malware are preferred by many hackers since they can be configured to execute different harmful activities, unrelated to one another. For instance, a threats such as Produkey Virus and Folder.exe can be used as multifunctional instruments for a variety of crimes, including theft, fraud, espionage and more.
Criminals that manage the Trojan may remotely monitor the machine and view all the information stored in there. They may figure out your passwords and login credentials by configuring the Trojan to keep track of your keystrokes. They may also secretly spy on you through by hacking into your webcam or microphone and secretly capture video and audio of your surrounding and conversations.
New threats such as Produkey Virus may often act as backdoors for other unpleasant malware, including rootkits and ransomware. So, it is best you remove the infection before it has invited more problematic software inside your machine.