This page aims to help you remove Regin Virus. These Regin Virus removal instructions work for every version of Windows.
Thank you for choosing our article on how to deal with Regin. You are probably reading this information because your PC has been contaminated with this Trojan horse and you are already aware of this fact. Unfortunately, Trojan horses are among the most dangerous versions of malware that have ever been developed and actually represent one of the biggest threats to users worldwide. What makes them so hazardous is the fact that they resemble the popular Trojan horse from Greek mythology – they infiltrate a computer’s system by stealth. In this way, the infection is often revealed after it has already become too late. Trojans have been created in numerous varieties in order to serve a multitude of usually dishonest intentions and purposes.
The one, which your machine has been attacked by, is called Regin.
What does Regin Virus do to your PC?
Regin , being an example of a typical Trojan, can be programmed to perform a lot of different activities, after it has infiltrated your PC. Here we are going to list some of its most common potential actions:
- Regin is completely capable of stealing information. It does that by spying on your activities, copying your account credentials, bank account details or any other information you have access to, while using your PC. It is even very likely to take over your own webcam, if you have one, and literary watch you remotely. Some hackers may even become physical abusers, because they have access to all your personal information, but this is the scariest possible scenario.;
- Some cyber criminals may use this Trojan to simply have fun. Sometimes they don’t intend to steal anything or blackmail anyone, just to have their “destruction” therapy, which appears to make them very happy and satisfied. To crash one’s computer and destroy no matter what kind of files is something like a hobby and sport for them;
- The most disturbing aspect of an infection with Regin is the fact that it could very possibly be travelling with a type of Ransomware. And this Ransomware is quite capable of being very disgusting – it blocks some of your files and then requests a ransom for “freeing” them;
- Sometimes the hackers are after your system’s resources and use the Trojan to exploit them. There is even the possibility that they may turn your machine into a “bot”. After that the hackers use your PC to send spam to other users or mine cryptocurrencies.
Of course, as you might expect, there is a great number of different activities Regin can also be used for.
How do you catch the Regin Virus?
The ways, in which Regin infiltrates your machine, can vary greatly. Typically the ones, who have created it, program it to exploit possible software vulnerabilities. However, it can still be distributed by many more means – from an injection of files attached to spam email, to torrents, shareware and software bundles.
In general, most Trojans often tend to benefit from any known flaws in the already installed software or the OS of the victim’s computer. For example, the lack of an anti-virus program can be considered such a serious weakness.
How to prevent the infection
Although Trojan horses are indeed the most famous digital danger and nearly 15% of all computers worldwide are used as bots no thanks to them, your infection doesn’t need to be such a case. It is always a good idea to be very careful with the condition of your personal computer. The first thing you can do about ensuring the health of your system is putting your trust into a good anti-malware tool. Such software will take charge of the overall safety of your computer, as it is likely to block all kinds of malware, Adware and most importantly – Trojans. Also, you should always mind the websites you tend to visit, the spam emails you are tempted to open and the sources of the free software you usually download. Practice browsing in a clever way and you won’t experience any unpleasant issues.
In order to remove an already existing infection, you should take a close look at the removal guide below. It is especially designed to help you remove this dangerous Trojan from your PC.
|Danger Level||High (Trojans are often used as a backdoor for Ransomware)|
|Symptoms||Usually it is very difficult to detect such a threat. However, it can worsen the overall computer performance.|
|Distribution Method||Very diverse – from an infected email attachment, such as Word or PDF documents, torrents or software bundles.|
|Detection Tool||Regin may be difficult to track down. Use SpyHunter – a professional parasite scanner – to make sure you find all files related to the infection.|
Regin Virus Removal
Readers are interested in:
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
This is the first preparation.
To remove parasite, you may have to meddle with system files and registries. Making a mistake and deleting the wrong thing may damage your system.
Avoid this by using SpyHunter - a professional Parasite removal tool.
The first thing you absolutely must do is Reveal All Hidden Files and Folders.
- Do not skip this. Regin may have hidden some of its files and you need to see them.
Hold together the Start Key and R. Type appwiz.cpl –> OK.
You are now in the Control Panel. Look for suspicious entries. Uninstall it/them. If you see a screen like this when you click Uninstall, choose NO:
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer or otherwise look suspicious.
- Remember this step – if you have reason to believe a bigger threat (like ransomware) is on your PC, check everything here.
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
A new file will open. If you are hacked, there will be a bunch of other IPs connected to you at the bottom. Look at the image below:
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC simultaneously. Go to the Processes Tab. Try to determine which ones are a virus. Google them or ask us in the comments.
WARNING! READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING!
We get asked this a lot, so we are putting it here: Removing parasite manually may take hours and damage your system in the process. If you want a fast safe solution, we recommend SpyHunter.
We get asked this a lot, so we are putting it here: Removing parasite manually may take hours and damage your system in the process. If you want a fast safe solution, we recommend SpyHunter.>> Click to Download Spyhunter. If you don't want this software, continue with the guide below.
- This step is very important, because you can catch other threats (like Ransomware and Spyware) while looking for the Adware process.
Right click on each of the virus processes separately and select Open File Location. End the process after you open the folder, then delete the directories you were sent to.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter.
Once inside, press CTRL and F together and type the virus’s Name. Right click and delete any entries you find with a similar name. If they don’t show this way, go manually to these directories and delete/uninstall them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. It could be any one of them – ask us if you can’t discern which ones are malicious.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
If all the prior steps fail to help you or you have reason to believe your system is exposed to threats like Ransomware, we advise you to download a professional scanner and remover.
Remember to leave us a comment if you run into any trouble!