Ads by EpsanDrive Overview
READER, BEGIN HERE! If you are reading this message, then you are the victim of adware. This type of malware is clearly known to try to confuse users into installing more of its kinds. We will list here the most common ways it tries to do this, so you can actively avoid being deceived. Aside from the hyperlinks and incessant pop-ups, among them lie:
- Banners with signs that you are missing some sort of plugins. This can be on practically every site, but the most susceptible ones are streaming and video sites. Needless to say, you should not click on any of these.
- Video players can be overlayed with pop-ups about plugins as well – be wary if you go on websites and the player is overlayed with a message asking you to update to continue.
- Alternatively fake updates of Java or Flash Player are also common. These may look like the real thing, but just ignore them. Even if they are real, you will have time to update once you’ve dealt with Ads by EpsanDrive.
- The virus is also capable as posing as an anti-virus that wants to scan. This may pop not just on websites, but also during routine tasks on your computer.
There are several well-known other side effects associated with Ads by EpsanDrive, apart from the pop-ups and advertisements. These are, in no particular order:
- An overall sluggishness of the PC and some stuttering. Browsers may occasionally crash. The advertisements are manually created by your PC, not just merely shown on the websites. This puts a heavy strain on the CPU. If these effects become too much to bear, limit the tabs you have open to this one.
- If you click on the advertisements you will probably will be redirected to different websites. These are extremely dangerous, as all kind of viruses lurn there – not just adware, but more dangerous types as well. Remain there at your own risk.
How To Avoid Ads by EpsanDrive (And Other Malware)
There are two main ways all adware use to slither in systems. If you educate yourself about these you will negate most of the powers of viruses like Ads by EpsanDrive, as they mainly resort to trickery. Remember – this is very important – these things try to deceive you because they do not have proper access. Unless you give it to them, they are left with severely limited options. The only options they have then, are:
- Spam email – links and attachments inside of them.
- Or corrupted links that can be found on many sites on forums.
These two are easily negated by finding a good antivirus program. This, of course doesn’t sit right with malware creators, so they have perfected the two remaining ways:
Fame programs. Basically .exe files masked under the guise of a song, movie or book that is a popular search term, e.g. Game of Thrones. Torrent trackers are especially famous for harboring a lot of these. When you search on google, you may come across a lot of torrents and the likes that seem fishy – these are most likely fake programs.
The second, by far the more profitable one, is through being bundled with real, legitimate free programs. The creators of free utilities take money for doing this, but are afraid of legal ramifications, so whenever you install one, just look at each step carefully to see if you will come across something like this:
How to Remove Ads by EpsanDrive
Our first step here is a reboot in Windows Safe Mode. If you already know how to do it, just skip this and proceed to Step 2. If you do not know how to do it, continue reading:
For Windows 98, XP, Millenium and 7 Users:
Restart your computer. To be sure you don’t miss the window of time when you need to press it, just spam F8 as soon as the PC starts booting. In the new menu, choose Safe Mode With Networking.
Proceed to Step 2.
For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Users:
Press the Windows Key and R at the same time. Select the Boot tab in the new window that appears.
Then check the Safe Boot option and click OK. Click Restart in the new pop-up.
Proceed to Step 2.
For OS X Users:
When you Mac is turned off, press the Power Button. After you hear the Startup Sound, immediately press and hold the Shift key until the Apple logo appears.
Proceed to Step 2.
Ads by EpsanDrive has infected ALL of your browsers. Apply the steps separately for each one.
For Internet Explorer Users:
Open IE, then click —–> Manage Add-ons.
Find Ads by EpsanDrive . Disable it.
If your Home Page is different from the usual, click —–> Internet Options>edit the URL box with your preferred search engine, and click Apply.
For Mozilla Firefox Users:
Open Firefox, click on (top right) ——-> Add-ons.
Hit Extensions next.
Ads by EpsanDrive should be somewhere around here – Remove it.
For Google Chrome Users:
Start Chrome, click —–>More Tools —–> Extensions.
In Extensions, find the virus and select .
Click again, and proceed to Settings —> Search (the fourth tab), select Manage Search Engines. Remove anything but the search engines you normally use.
For Safari Users:
Open Safari, and click Safari —–>Preferences —–> Extensions—–>Uninstall the malware.
(Works for Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1)
You are now in the Control Panel. Search around for Ads by EpsanDrive and anything else suspicious-looking. Uninstall it/them. Also, be extremely careful. Viruses often spend one last ditch effort to trick you into installing more of their kind. If you see a screen like this when you click Uninstall, choose NO:
This is perhaps the most important and difficult step, so be extremely careful. Open the Task Manager by right clicking on the Taskbar and choosing Start Task Manager.
Once it opens, choose the Processes Tab. Look at all of the processes in front of you and try to determine which ones are a virus. Google them or ask us in the comments and we will provide the best assistance we can. If the virus returns later on after you supposedly removed it, the reason is that you missed something here.
Right click on each of the virus processes separately and select Open File Location. Also, End the process after you open the folder. Just to make sure we don’t delete any programs you mistakenly took for a virus, copy the folders somewhere, then delete the directories you were sent to.
STEP 5 – Optimization
And that’s it. Well done for removing Ads by EpsanDrive. We’ve prepared a short and sweet optimization guide, specifically designed for users who just removed a virus. It is completely free, you do not need to download anything, and it’s not very time consuming. If you are interested, you can check it out here.