Ads by PriceMinus Overview
WARNING! Dear readers, please read the entire first section of this article, if not the whole of it. This is extremely important because Ads by PriceMinus is one of the viruses known to trick users into installing more of its kind at best, or at worst – ransomware-class threats, which encrypt your personal files and ask for payments to release them. In the following few sentences we will try to describe all of the most prominent fakes Ads by PriceMinus may attempt to get one over you. These are in no particular order:
- Redirects towards random websites that will open in new tabs or windows. These appear almost all the time you click on the advertisements, so avoid doing that. These websites are filled with malicious software and are prime sources for additional headaches. Leave them at once, because just by being there some personal information about you (your IP for example) is being divulged, and there’s just no telling what else may squeeze through.
- Fake anti-virus programs will likely start contacting you – not just on web pages, but while doing mundane tasks on your PC. Be careful not to interact with these, as they are thumbnails, meaning that even if you hit the close sign, they may still open and start downloading a setup file.
- Banners informing you of missing plugins will start appearing. These ones are pretty straightforward – they want you to click on them so they can install the missing piece.
- Java or Flash Player updates are likely to appear out of nowhere asking you to keep up to date. Ignore these; they are the classic fake that all adware (an acronym for ads and malware) employ since practically all systems have these two programs.
- Every video streaming/Playing site (youtube included) can get a pop-up on top that tells you your video manager has a new version… the problem here is that there’s basically no way to get rid of this without removing Ads by PriceMinus.
Additionally, there are several other well-known effects associated with all adware. These may be present or missing, strong or weak at each case differently, but overall it seems all machines have them to some degree. These effects are:
- A sluggishness and increased loading time, possibly stuttering and sound glitching while playing music; occasional freezing. This is due to the fact that your PC has to manually generate Ads by PriceMinus’s pop-ups, so a lot of the CPU’s power is continually taken.
- There is a good chance that the moment tihs virus infiltrated you, a countdown began. Ads by PriceMinus collects personal information, browser cookies, account names and passwords, then sends them to whoever created it about a week later. If you own any accounts that use your credit cards, change them after you delete the pest.
How to Remove Ads by PriceMinus
Our first step here is a reboot in Windows Safe Mode. If you already know how to do it, just skip this and proceed to Step 2. If you do not know how to do it, continue reading:
For Windows 98, XP, Millenium and 7 Users:
Restart your computer. To be sure you don’t miss the window of time when you need to press it, just spam F8 as soon as the PC starts booting. In the new menu, choose Safe Mode With Networking.
Proceed to Step 2.
For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Users:
Press the Windows Key and R at the same time. Select the Boot tab in the new window that appears.
Then check the Safe Boot option and click OK. Click Restart in the new pop-up.
Proceed to Step 2.
For OS X Users:
When you Mac is turned off, press the Power Button. After you hear the Startup Sound, immediately press and hold the Shift key until the Apple logo appears.
Proceed to Step 2.
Ads by PriceMinus has infected ALL of your browsers. Apply the steps separately for each one.
For Internet Explorer Users:
Open IE, then click —–> Manage Add-ons.
Find Ads by PriceMinus . Disable it.
If your Home Page is different from the usual, click —–> Internet Options>edit the URL box with your preferred search engine, and click Apply.
For Mozilla Firefox Users:
Open Firefox, click on (top right) ——-> Add-ons.
Hit Extensions next.
Ads by PriceMinus should be somewhere around here – Remove it.
For Google Chrome Users:
Start Chrome, click —–>More Tools —–> Extensions.
In Extensions, find the virus and select .
Click again, and proceed to Settings —> Search (the fourth tab), select Manage Search Engines. Remove anything but the search engines you normally use.
For Safari Users:
Open Safari, and click Safari —–>Preferences —–> Extensions—–>Uninstall the malware.
(Works for Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1)
You are now in the Control Panel. Search around for Ads by PriceMinus and anything else suspicious-looking. Uninstall it/them. Also, be extremely careful. Viruses often spend one last ditch effort to trick you into installing more of their kind. If you see a screen like this when you click Uninstall, choose NO:
This is perhaps the most important and difficult step, so be extremely careful. Open the Task Manager by right clicking on the Taskbar and choosing Start Task Manager.
Once it opens, choose the Processes Tab. Look at all of the processes in front of you and try to determine which ones are a virus. Google them or ask us in the comments and we will provide the best assistance we can. If the virus returns later on after you supposedly removed it, the reason is that you missed something here.
Right click on each of the virus processes separately and select Open File Location. Also, End the process after you open the folder. Just to make sure we don’t delete any programs you mistakenly took for a virus, copy the folders somewhere, then delete the directories you were sent to.
STEP 5 – Optimization
And that’s it. Well done for removing Ads by PriceMinus. We’ve prepared a short and sweet optimization guide, specifically designed for users who just removed a virus. It is completely free, you do not need to download anything, and it’s not very time consuming. If you are interested, you can check it out here.