Ads by SongLyrics is an adware characterized mostly by the amount of annoyance it can cause for the user. The following article deals with its means of spreading, operation and removal. We highly recommend reading it fully, because having knowledge of how these threats can operate may be highly valuable in the future, since new adware are released every day.
Ads by SongLyrics – a short overview
Ads by SongLyrics holds true to the characteristics of its adware class. That is, its main function is to spam your computer with advertisements. Most of the time these aren’t even real. They are generic copies created on your own computer and hidden links lead to entirely different sites. If you have been experiencing slowdowns lately, it is likely Ads by SongLyrics is to blame for those as it’s stealing CPU cycles. Ads may include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Offers for best deals for online shops.
- Pop-ups warning about out-of-date programs needing an update.
- Error messages about missing plug-ins.
- Demands to install certain video players to view something.
It is important to know that all of these are designed with three goals:
- To waste your time (and generate views for profit).
- To trick you into spending money.
- To install malware on your computer.
Needless to say you should avoid interactions with anything originating from Ads by SongLyrics. Close all pop-ups, ignore all messages and follow the removal guide.
Next we’ll discuss how Ads by SongLyrics got into your computer
Adware like Ads by SongLyrics enjoys a semi-legal status, so unlike other, more dangerous viruses, Ads by SongLyrics actually asks permission from the user. Of course, its usually under some form of guise or hiding within another application’s installer. This is good news – once you lean their patterns it becomes very easy to never let them infect your computer again! Here are a few examples:
- Free programs. Watch out for those! The programs themselves are not malware on their own right, but many of them provide a whole bundle of other apps in their installers. Using the default installation option will land all those programs on your machine – and chances are some WILL be adware. When installing them always go for the “Advanced” option – it gives you control over what exactly you are getting. Uncheck anything that you don’t need, or that looks suspicious.
- Torrents/download sites that are fakes. There are certain sites that generate perfect matches by creating a temporary download file with a name that is an exact copy of your search terms. This is most certainly a virus. Spot these by looking at the file extension. Viruses will either be an .exe file or some sort of archive which has an .exe file inside. NEVER install .exe files unless you are absolutely certain they are not a virus. Always download software from the original developer’s site (whenever possible, of course) to eliminate the risks.
How to Remove Ads by SongLyrics
Our first step here is a reboot in Windows Safe Mode. If you already know how to do it, just skip this and proceed to Step 2. If you do not know how to do it, continue reading:
For Windows 98, XP, Millenium and 7 Users:
Restart your computer. To be sure you don’t miss the window of time when you need to press it, just spam F8 as soon as the PC starts booting. In the new menu, choose Safe Mode With Networking.
Proceed to Step 2.
For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Users:
Press the Windows Key and R at the same time. Select the Boot tab in the new window that appears.
Then check the Safe Boot option and click OK. Click Restart in the new pop-up.
Proceed to Step 2.
For OS X Users:
When you Mac is turned off, press the Power Button. After you hear the Startup Sound, immediately press and hold the Shift key until the Apple logo appears.
Proceed to Step 2.
Ads by SongLyrics has infected ALL of your browsers. Apply the steps separately for each one.
For Internet Explorer Users:
Open IE, then click —–> Manage Add-ons.
Find Ads by SongLyrics . Disable it.
If your Home Page is different from the usual, click —–> Internet Options>edit the URL box with your preferred search engine, and click Apply.
For Mozilla Firefox Users:
Open Firefox, click on (top right) ——-> Add-ons.
Hit Extensions next.
Ads by SongLyrics should be somewhere around here – Remove it.
For Google Chrome Users:
Start Chrome, click —–>More Tools —–> Extensions.
In Extensions, find the virus and select .
Click again, and proceed to Settings —> Search (the fourth tab), select Manage Search Engines. Remove anything but the search engines you normally use.
For Safari Users:
Open Safari, and click Safari —–>Preferences —–> Extensions—–>Uninstall the malware.
(Works for Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1)
You are now in the Control Panel. Search around for Ads by SongLyrics and anything else suspicious-looking. Uninstall it/them. Also, be extremely careful. Viruses often spend one last ditch effort to trick you into installing more of their kind. If you see a screen like this when you click Uninstall, choose NO:
This is perhaps the most important and difficult step, so be extremely careful. Open the Task Manager by right clicking on the Taskbar and choosing Start Task Manager.
Once it opens, choose the Processes Tab. Look at all of the processes in front of you and try to determine which ones are a virus. Google them or ask us in the comments and we will provide the best assistance we can. If the virus returns later on after you supposedly removed it, the reason is that you missed something here.
Right click on each of the virus processes separately and select Open File Location. Also, End the process after you open the folder. Just to make sure we don’t delete any programs you mistakenly took for a virus, copy the folders somewhere, then delete the directories you were sent to.
STEP 5 – Optimization
And that’s it. Well done for removing Ads by SongLyrics. We’ve prepared a short and sweet optimization guide, specifically designed for users who just removed a virus. It is completely free, you do not need to download anything, and it’s not very time consuming. If you are interested, you can check it out here.