More annoying then dangerous, bestfilerme.com is still something you probably don’t want on your computer. The aim of this article is to help you get rid of it, as well as to explain its method of operation and the way it installed itself in the first place.
bestfilerme.com – a general overview
Advertisement based unwanted programs are named Adware and this is exactly what bestfilerme.com is. As soon as it hooks to your preferred internet browser it will begin to shower you in ads. There are several different version of those – promotional deals and offers, updates on programs, “free” downloads. Sometimes its even prompts to install “missing” plug-ins or “required” video players.
- Yeah, all of it is a scam. Any installation offered is actually a virus – and the best case scenario is another adware and not something much worse. Thus installations or downloads started due to bestfilerme.com should be immediately cancelled or shut down via the task manager.
The ads you see are actually generated by your own computer in accordance to the code ran by the Adware. This may attribute to general slowness of your computer. Worse, to tailor these ads to your interests bestfilerme.com reads the history of your browser. Together with the history it could also steal dangerous things like credit card numbers and passwords.
- Passwords should be encrypted if you are running a modern browser, but its always better not to run unnecessary risks. After you remove all adware change important passwords to avoid any risk.
How did I end up with bestfilerme.com on my computer?
One important piece of information worth knowing is that most adware relies on getting the user to involuntarily install it. To achieve that Adware developers employ camouflaging tactics to make you believe their product is anything else but adware. Some methods are listed below:
- As part of a bundle with another program – usually a free one. Adware developers pay other legitimate developers some money to have their adware added in the installer of the free program. Fortunately these always come of the option to skip installing the adware. When installing applications always go for the advanced/expert installation. Beside changing the location you can also deny installation for any included “extras”.
- Fake torrent/download side mimics – very dangerous to the unwary. These sites operate by copying anything you write into your search query and provide it to you as a perfect result – thus jumping to google first or second page. The file will have the exact name you want, but its extension will be .exe or perhaps an archive containing the .exe.
- Through contaminated links/messages from Skype or social networks. There are viruses that circulate and infect computers of unsuspecting people, then spam messages from their accounts which contain the virus. As above those are .exe files. Never download such a file unless you clear it first by speaking to the sender.
How to Remove bestfilerme.com
Our first step here is a reboot in Windows Safe Mode. If you already know how to do it, just skip this and proceed to Step 2. If you do not know how to do it, continue reading:
For Windows 98, XP, Millenium and 7 Users:
Restart your computer. To be sure you don’t miss the window of time when you need to press it, just spam F8 as soon as the PC starts booting. In the new menu, choose Safe Mode With Networking.
Proceed to Step 2.
For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Users:
Press the Windows Key and R at the same time. Select the Boot tab in the new window that appears.
Then check the Safe Boot option and click OK. Click Restart in the new pop-up.
Proceed to Step 2.
For OS X Users:
When you Mac is turned off, press the Power Button. After you hear the Startup Sound, immediately press and hold the Shift key until the Apple logo appears.
Proceed to Step 2.
bestfilerme.com has infected ALL of your browsers. Apply the steps separately for each one.
For Internet Explorer Users:
Open IE, then click —–> Manage Add-ons.
Find bestfilerme.com . Disable it.
If your Home Page is different from the usual, click —–> Internet Options>edit the URL box with your preferred search engine, and click Apply.
For Mozilla Firefox Users:
Open Firefox, click on (top right) ——-> Add-ons.
Hit Extensions next.
bestfilerme.com should be somewhere around here – Remove it.
For Google Chrome Users:
Start Chrome, click —–>More Tools —–> Extensions.
In Extensions, find the virus and select .
Click again, and proceed to Settings —> Search (the fourth tab), select Manage Search Engines. Remove anything but the search engines you normally use.
For Safari Users:
Open Safari, and click Safari —–>Preferences —–> Extensions—–>Uninstall the malware.
(Works for Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1)
You are now in the Control Panel. Search around for bestfilerme.com and anything else suspicious-looking. Uninstall it/them. Also, be extremely careful. Viruses often spend one last ditch effort to trick you into installing more of their kind. If you see a screen like this when you click Uninstall, choose NO:
This is perhaps the most important and difficult step, so be extremely careful. Open the Task Manager by right clicking on the Taskbar and choosing Start Task Manager.
Once it opens, choose the Processes Tab. Look at all of the processes in front of you and try to determine which ones are a virus. Google them or ask us in the comments and we will provide the best assistance we can. If the virus returns later on after you supposedly removed it, the reason is that you missed something here.
Right click on each of the virus processes separately and select Open File Location. Also, End the process after you open the folder. Just to make sure we don’t delete any programs you mistakenly took for a virus, copy the folders somewhere, then delete the directories you were sent to.
STEP 5 – Optimization
And that’s it. Well done for removing bestfilerme.com. We’ve prepared a short and sweet optimization guide, specifically designed for users who just removed a virus. It is completely free, you do not need to download anything, and it’s not very time consuming. If you are interested, you can check it out here.