Removal Guide

Remove WordAnchor Ads

Parasite may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to scan for malicious programs installed with it. This may save you hours and cut down your time to about 15 minutes. 

Download SpyHunter Anti-Malware

More information on SpyHunter, steps to uninstallEULAThreat Assessment Criteria, and Privacy Policy.


WordAnchor Ads

The WordAnchor Ads removal instructions below should cover practically anything you might need to get rid of this pest. You can, of course, just skip ahead to that section, but my sincerest recommendation is to read the rest of this article when you are able. We have dedicated great time and research to the subject of how to protect yourself from adware – that’s what the class Ads by WordAnchor belongs to is called, the word coming from “ad” and “malware” – and we have also pinpointed what the most likely reasons for infections are. If you value the safety of your system, we believe that the information we will outline in the next couple of paragraphs is vital.

First and most importantly, WordAnchor Ads will try to trick you. There are several ways it will try to do it, but all of them require you to give it authority of some kind. The ultimate goal it has in mind is to install more of its kind because it wants you to keep getting ads. The fakes can take the form of:


Reputable anti-virus programs most users will never consider are part of the virus itself. Programs like Norton, Kaspersky, Avira, etc. This is especially dangerous and is very lucrative for virus creators, because users almost never defy such programs. Don’t be manipulated – ignore the messages.


Alternatively, you will probably encounter a variety of fake updates for real, reputable programs like Java, Flash Player, or even windows updates (seriously). Or the virus may impersonate a vast array of other programs. The moment it latched on to you, it scanned your programs list and flagged the most popular entries – Winamp, for example – as “appropriate” for the taking.


Another possibility are the redirects – whenever you click on the advertisements and hyperlinks presented by Ads by WordAnchor there is about a 30% chance (the other 70% are the sponsored websites) that your browser will open a new page on a new tab, and that new page will be completely filled with malware. These are the so-called phishing websites. Their goal here is for you to open them, at which point they will either try to tell you that you only need to download a “download manager” that speeds up the process for whatever you needed, or will outright begin downloading a .exe in the next few seconds. And that last part is what you should truly be afraid of if your internet connection is, ironically, good. The better it is, the lesser reaction time you’ll have before the download is complete, and that’s exactly where problems will reach a critical point – the .exe file will autorun and start installing a malware. IF this ever happens to you don’t click on the setup, don’t try to cancel it, just bring up the task manager and stop the associated process. This is WordAnchor Ads, a virus, we’re talking about here. It’s not a “fair” program.

How to Remove WordAnchor Ads


Our first step here is a reboot in Windows Safe Mode. If you already know how to do it, just skip this and proceed to Step 2. If you do not know how to do it, continue reading:

For Windows 98, XP, Millenium and 7 Users:

Restart your computer. There’s a specific time you need to press F8 in, but just so we’re you don’t miss it, start spamming F8 when the PC starts booting. In the new menu, choose Safe Mode With Networking.


Proceed to Step 2.

For Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Users:

 Press the Windows Key and R at the same time. Select the Boot tab in the new window that appears.


Then check the Safe Boot option and click OK.  Click  Restart in the new pop-up.

system- config

Proceed to Step 2.

For OS X Users:

When you Mac is turned off, press the Power Button. After you hear the Startup Sound, immediately press and hold the Shift key until the Apple logo appears.

Proceed to Step 2.


  WordAnchor Ads has infected ALL of your browsers. Apply the steps separately for each one.

ie9-10_512x512  For Internet Explorer Users:

Open IE, then click  IE GEAR —–> Manage Add-ons.

pic 3

Find WordAnchor Ads . Disable it.

If your Home Page is different from the usual, click IE GEAR —–> Internet Options>edit the URL box with your preferred search engine, and click Apply.

firefox-512  For Mozilla Firefox Users:

Open Firefoxclick on mozilla menu (top right) ——-> Add-ons.

pic 5.

Hit Extensions next.

wordanchor firefox extension

WordAnchor Ads  should be somewhere around here –  Remove it.

chrome-logo-transparent-background For Google Chrome Users

 Start Chrome, click chrome menu icon —–>More Tools —–> Extensions.


pic 7

In  Extensions,  find the virus and  select  chrome-trash-icon.

wordanchor chrome extension

 Click chrome menu icon   again, and proceed to Settings —> Search (the fourth tab), select Manage Search Engines.  Remove anything but the search engines you normally use.

pic 9

safari For Safari Users:

Open Safari, and click Safari —–>Preferences —–> Extensions—–>Uninstall the malware.


(Works for Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1)

Hold windows-buttonand R together. Write appwiz.cpl  in the new field, then click OK.


You are now in the Control Panel. Search around for WordAnchor Ads and anything else suspicious-looking. Uninstall  it/them. Also, be extremely careful. Viruses often spend one last ditch effort to trick you into installing more of their kind. If you see a screen like this when you click Uninstallchoose NO:



This is perhaps the most important and difficult step, so be extremely careful. Open the Task Manager by right clicking on the Taskbar and choosing Start Task Manager.


Once it opens, choose the Processes Tab. Look at all of the processes in front of you and try to determine which ones are a virus. Google them or ask us in the comments and we will provide the best assistance we can. If the virus returns later on, the reason is that you missed something here.


Right click on each of the virus processes separately and select Open File Location. Also, End the process after you open the folder. Just to make sure we don’t delete any programs you mistakenly took for a virus, copy the folders somewhere, then delete the directories you were sent to.


We’ve had reports that this virus can come back after you uninstall it. This usually takes place on system boot. If this happens, do the following:

Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter.

Once inside, press CTRL and F together and type the virus’s Name. Right click and delete any entries you find with a similar name. Alternatively, if you can’t find any this way, look in these directories, and delete the registries manually:

  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random numbers
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—-Windows—CurrentVersion—Run– Random
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random


STEP 6 – Optimization

And that’s it. Well done for removing WordAnchor Ads. We’ve prepared a short and sweet optimization guide, specifically designed for users who just removed a virus. It is completely free, you do not need to download anything, and it’s not very time consuming. If you are interested, you can check it out here.


Leave a Comment