Retellrule.com is an app that is regarded as potentially unwanted and intrusive since it typically overloads Chrome, Firefox and other popular browsers with advertisements and page redirects. Retellrule.com also tends to update the settings of the homepage and installs a new search engine in the default web browser.
If you’ve recently started seeing dozens of ads, pop-ups, banners, or page-redirect prompts during your regular web browsing sessions, or you have detected some unauthorized changes in your browser’s main search engine and/or homepage, you may have unknowingly installed a browser hijacker called Retellrule.com on your computer.
The installation of such programs typically happens when you approve the automatic installation of some free program or a software package in your system. The uninstallation, however, often needs advanced information and specific instructions. That’s why most people who end up with a browser hijacker such as Retellrule.com on their machine often mistake it for malware (like ransomware or Trojan horse) and call it a “redirect virus”.
But, the truth is that Retellrule.com and the other applications, like Mintnav, Lookaside.fbsbx.com of the browser hijacking category are typically not linked to any unlawful practices or illegal activities. These are, basically, marketing programs, which seek to get you to click on different pay-per-click advertisements, banners and pop-ups while you surf the web.
The Retellrule.com Scam
Software such as the Retellrule.com scam does not require some specific programming skills on your side to have it successfully removed. Nevertheless, the uninstallation method can be very frustrating if you don’t know which files precisely you have to remove.
And you can unintentionally delete some important system files and possibly corrupt your OS if you don’t understand what needs to be deleted. This is why we recommend you use a reliable removal tool, such as the one on this page, or to complete the steps listed in the removal guide below in order to reduce the risk of unintentional system corruption.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Retellrule.com!
How to remove Retellrule.com Scam
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Retellrule.com in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Retellrule.com from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Retellrule.com.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Retellrule.com.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Retellrule.com from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Retellrule.com extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to Retellrule.com and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Retellrule.com on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Retellrule.com extension
- Get rid of Retellrule.com by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “Retellrule.com” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Retellrule.com
- Open task manager
- Look for the Retellrule.com process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Retellrule.com
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “Retellrule.com” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- Each file will be scanned with up to 64 antivirus programs to ensure maximum accuracyThis scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users.This file is not matched with any known malware in the database. You can either do a full real-time scan of the file or skip it to upload a new file. Doing a full scan with 64 antivirus programs can take up to 3-4 minutes per file.Drag and Drop File Here To ScanAnalyzing 0 s
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Retellrule.com
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Retellrule.com in there
- Uninstall Retellrule.com from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Retellrule.com-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Retellrule.com in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
Is Retellrule.com dangerous?
The developers of browser hijackers like Retellrule.com typically generate some revenue from the pay-per-click ads and links that are shown on your screen. This is why they set their software to constantly prompt you to click on different sponsored messages and visit specific pages by showing different pop-up notifications and redirect links on every website you visit.
Indeed, these activities would not usually cause serious damage to your system, but they can interfere with your web experience and cause irritation. That is why you have the right to uninstall the software that is causing you disturbance and remove all its related elements from your browser (search engines, homepage changes, toolbars, etc.) in case that they are not allowing you to surf the Internet in peace.
How to protect yourself from Retellrule.com
As far as prevention is concerned, we advise you to stay away from free program packages, torrents and browser add-ons released by unfamiliar developers as a lot of browser hijackers get distributed in this way. Download and install apps only from official pages and always use the advanced or custom setup settings when performing a setup. Also, try to avoid intrusive advertisements and sketchy websites because these may redirect you to unsafe web locations or, even worse – infect you with viruses such as ransomware, Trojans, spyware and other malware.