This page aims to help you remove Startpage-home.com Virus. These Startpage-home.com Virus removal instructions work for Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, as well as every version of Windows.
What is Startpage-home.com Virus?
Startpage-home.com Virus is a malware. It may show “under cover” as a freeware program and many users have hard time to completely understand its risk because of the cover. The virus distributes itself easily through various advertisements, PC programs, internet browsers, social media channels, e-mail attachments, etc.
You don’t have to hold a PhD degree in IT to be able to understand how the virus works and how dangerous it is. The removal guide is made for computer users at all levels and it is easy to absorb. Just remember that no virus has been created for good purposes and that any strange behavior you notice with your system needs to be looked at carefully and the core of it needs to be removed.
How did Startpage-home.com Virus get installed on my computer?
Startpage-home.com Virus is sticky and always finds a way to get into your PC. It likes to play “hide and seek” and to look attractive at first gaze, but consider this: using any digital device is like a box of chocolates; you click on a certain link and/or icon and you never know what you will get. We have listed the most popular ways for distribution of the virus:
- E-mail: all attachments that get into your inbox should be scanned! Even if the letter comes from a legit company with high reputation you have applied to, or your mother, or your best friend–there should be no exceptions to this rule because ANY e-mail account could get hacked at any time. It’s always good to verify the security and validity of the files before downloading them. When you save, download or open an attachment pay close attention to what text appears in the gray box and select the downloadable settings accordingly. If necessary, adjust the settings for each attachment, so that you don’t end up downloading an infected file.
- E-mail#2: Startpage-home.com Virus could arrive in the form of a phishing e-mail. These e-mails appear authentic,i.e, are emailed by someone you recognize, but it is very likely that the e-mail account of that individual has gotten hacked or taken over by illegal third parties. Thus, you are receiving the most spammed e-mail of all that has a crawling content and it usually appears and disappears until all of a sudden is no longer in your inbox or e-mail account, and you can’t prove that it has ever been there. ALWAYS look carefully over the subject of the e-mail and immediately apply the instructions from the removal guide below, so that the consequences are as little as possible.
- Software bundling: Often we end up downloading many files when trying to get just one. This is why is called “the bundle”! BUT often the extra files are usually virus distributors and once in your computer they will be able to access your files, pictures, personal information etc.–this is what hackers want: direct access to your information!
Signs of Startpage-home.com Virus
There are many ALERT SIGNS you should look for and you will recognize the malware easily. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- pop-up ads: too many pop-up ads are a frequent malware carrier. Either in the form of flashing boxes or banners, you shouldn’t click on them because the more you click-to-open, the more they will appear. In fact, hackers have made them in a way that they will generate revenue, from you, not only via the pay-per-click method, but also via pre-click. (might sound impossible, but don’t underestimate the illegal purposes of those on the other side)
- Browser hijacking is another way that the virus appears. It means that no matter what internet browser you choose to use at a given moment, you may notice other browser’ windows popping-up without you clicking on them.
Take a look at the removal guide and if you still have questions or concerns, feel free to shoot us a comment and we will get back to you with the best answer suitable to your case!
|Symptoms||slowness, missing files, hacked accounts|
|Distribution Method||e-mail attachments, software bundling, internet browsers|
Startpage-home.com Virus Removal
Readers are interested in:
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
Files put in your system by Startpage-home.com Virus can be impossible to delete.Enable Safe mode to counteract that.
- It’s possible that files connected with Startpage-home.com Virus are hidden in order to confuse you. Reveal them by visiting the relevant option.
Hold together the Start Key and R. Type appwiz.cpl –> OK.
You are now in the Control Panel, this enables you to uninstall software from your computer. Find any program that looks undesirable – search online for any that you are unsure what it actually does. Uninstall the the threat, but please be careful with any messages that show up while you are at it. These regularly have sneaky wording that want to install other Malware on your PC – examine the snapshot added here:
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer.
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
At this point a system file will open, this has a number of IPs of various computers connected to your PC. Take a look at the image ahead.
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
Right click on the browser’s shortcut —> Properties.
NOTE: We are showing Google Chrome, but you can do this for Firefox and IE (or Edge).
Properties –> Shortcut. In Target, remove everything after .exe.
Remove the Malware from Internet Explorer:
Open IE, click –> Manage Add-ons.
Find the malware —> Disable. Go to –> Internet Options —> change the URL to whatever you use (if hijacked) —> Apply.
Remove Startpage-home.com Virus from Firefox:
Open Firefox, click —> Add-ons —-> Extensions.
Find the adware/malware —> Remove.
Remove Startpage-home.com Virus from Chrome:
Close Chrome. Navigate to:
C:/Users/!!!!USER NAME!!!!/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data. There is a Folder called “Default” inside:
Rename it to Backup Default. Restart Chrome.
- At this point the malware is gone from Chrome, but complete the entire guide or it may reappear on a system reboot.
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC simultaneously. Go to the Processes Tab. Try to determine which ones are a virus. Google them or ask us in the comments.
WARNING! READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING!
Right click on each of the virus processes separately and select Open File Location. End the process after you open the folder, then delete the directories you were sent to.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter.
When the new window opens hold CTRL+F simultaneously and enter the name of the malicious application, then complete the search. Should any entries show up you’ll need to right click and erase them manually. If the option is unwavailable you must locate the strings that hold them and delete them from there.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. It could be any one of them – ask us if you can’t discern which ones are malicious.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
Remember to leave us a comment if you run into any trouble!