This page aims to help you remove Su-news.ru “Virus” . These Su-news.ru “Virus Ads removal instructions work for Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, as well as every version of Windows.
One of the most common complaints that users have is when their Chrome, Firefox or IE browser gets taken out of their control by Su-news.ru – an unwanted program that changes the browser homepage and search engine and ads new toolbar without even asking the user for permission. Here, you can find information that will help you deal with that PUP (potentially unwanted program) and keep any similar software away from your PC.
What is a Browser Hijacker?
In fact, there are many programs like Su-news.ru. They are generally referred to as Browser Hijackers. Software of this type is most commonly used as a form of aggressive online marketing. This is also the reason why these programs are so incredibly annoying and frustrating. Most of the time, their one and only purpose benefiting their developers, without giving you any actual useful features. Some Hijackers might seem to possess an actual helpful function, but even then it is nothing that would make you ignore the fact that your browser has been messed up by the nagging software. Furthermore, in most cases, users are unable to reverse the changes made to their browser, unless they uninstall and fully remove all traces of the Hijacker. Fortunately, here we will show you how you can do that yourself without the need to ask for professional aid. There is a guide below this article, which will teach you how you can quickly and effectively get rid of the PUP.
If you have landed a Browser Hijacker, you’re probably concerned about your PC’s safety and security. We are here to tell you that there’s usually no reason to worry since programs like Su-news.ru are not actual malicious viruses like Trojan horses or Ransomware. While these Hijackers are certainly a pain in the neck, as far as your computer’s security is concerned, they usually do not pose any threat. After all, they are marketing tools and their purpose is different from the goal of real forms of malware like the ones we already mentioned (Trojans, Ransomware, etc.). Furthermore, a very big part of Browser Hijackers are actually legal pieces of software, regardless of how annoying and unwanted they might be.
Even if Browser Hijackers are not some malicious virus like, for example, the infamous Ransomware, they are still something that you should not keep on your PC. There are a lot of reasons why it’s better to remove the program from your PC as soon as possible instead of simply tolerating it. Here are some of the most common problems that might come from a Browser Hijacker:
- Most browser Hijackers can scan your online search history and later use the information in order to display ads that are relevant to personal tastes. This increases the chance of you clicking on those ads, which would in turn generate income for the developer of the unwanted program via the Pay-Per-Click scheme.
- Additionally, your browser might get spammed with all sorts of intrusive and obstructive advertising materials. Sometimes the ads, pop-ups and banners can get so intrusive that you’d be unable to use your browser. The only effective way to stop this is to remove Su-news.ru.
- On top of all, due to heavy use of system resources from the Hijacker, your machine might get slowed down and the whole system might get unstable, often leading to crashes and freezes.
How to keep Browser Hijackers away
Unfortunately, programs of this type are extremely common and sometimes it might be difficult to prevent them from getting installed on your computer. However, there are several simple, yet very important rules that, if followed, would greatly improve your computer’s safety and security:
- Make sure that your browser asks you for permission every time a file attempts to get download onto your PC. You’d have to access your browser’s settings to do that. That way, a Browser Hijacker would not be able to get automatically downloaded onto your PC.
- Stay away from sites that aren’t reputable and that have sketchy and obscure content. If you are not careful while surfing the internet, the chances of landing some unwanted piece of software are significantly increased.
- Never open anything that looks like some form of spam. It might be a shady-looking e-mail or a hyperlink send to you in Facebook or some other website, but as long as it seems to be spam, make sure to stay away from it and delete it if possible.
- Never install new software without first checking the setup wizard for any applications added to the main program. Sometimes, the program installers are actually file bundles that contain the Hijacker. Therefore, if you notice that there’s some added application in the installation menu that can be unchecked, uncheck it if you think that it might turn out to be some unwanted program like Su-news.ru. Bear in mind that sometimes you’d need to use the Custom installation settings in order to see everything that has been bundled with the main program.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||Intrusive adverts filling your browser, changed homepage and search engine and added new toolbars.|
|Distribution Method||Usually, Browser Hijackers are distributed through spam messages, online banners, torrents and file-bundles.|
parasite may reinstall itself multiple times if you don't delete its core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to scan for malicious programs. This may save you hours and cut down your time to about 15 minutes.
Download SpyHunter Anti-Malware
Su-news.ru “Virus” Ads Removal
Some of the steps will likely require you to exit the page. Bookmark it for later reference.
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
This is the most important step. Do not skip it if you want to remove Su-news.ru successfully!
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC at the same time and go to the Processes Tab (the “Details” Tab on Win 8 and 10). Try to determine which processes are dangerous.
Right click on each of them and select Open File Location. Then scan the files with our free online virus scanner:
This scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users. You can find its full-page version at: https://howtoremove.guide/online-virus-scanner/
After you open their folder, end the processes that are infected, then delete their folders.
Note: If you are sure something is part of the infection – delete it, even if the scanner doesn’t flag it. No anti-virus program can detect all infections.
Hold together the Start Key and R. Type appwiz.cpl –> OK.
You are now in the Control Panel. Look for suspicious entries. Uninstall it/them.
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer or otherwise look suspicious.
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
A new file will open. If you are hacked, there will be a bunch of other IPs connected to you at the bottom. Look at the image below:
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
Open the start menu and search for Network Connections (On Windows 10 you just write it after clicking the Windows button), press enter.
- Right-click on the Network Adapter you are using —> Properties —> Internet Protocol Version 4 (ICP/IP), click Properties.
- The DNS line should be set to Obtain DNS server automatically. If it is not, set it yourself.
- Click on Advanced —> the DNS tab. Remove everything here (if there is something) —> OK.
- After you complete this step, the threat will be gone from your browsers. Finish the next step as well or it may reappear on a system reboot.
Right click on the browser’s shortcut —> Properties.
NOTE: We are showing Google Chrome, but you can do this for Firefox and IE (or Edge).
Properties —–> Shortcut. In Target, remove everything after .exe.
Remove Su-news.ru from Internet Explorer:
Open IE, click —–> Manage Add-ons.
Find the threat —> Disable. Go to —–> Internet Options —> change the URL to whatever you use (if hijacked) —> Apply.
Remove Su-news.ru from Firefox:
Open Firefox, click ——-> Add-ons —-> Extensions.
Find the adware/malware —> Remove.
Remove Su-news.ru from Chrome:
Close Chrome. Navigate to:
C:/Users/!!!!USER NAME!!!!/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data. There is a Folder called “Default” inside:
Rename it to Backup Default. Restart Chrome.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter.
Inside, press CTRL and F together and type the threat’s Name. Right click and delete any entries you find with a similar name. If they don’t show up this way, go manually to these directories and delete/uninstall them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. It could be any one of them – ask us if you can’t discern which ones are malicious.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
If the guide didn’t help you, download the anti-virus program we recommended or ask us in the comments for guidance!