This page aims to help you remove Terdot Banking Trojan. Our removal instructions work for every version of Windows.
The viruses known as Trojans are the most infamous ones in the world of cyber threats. Also, they are considered the most common cyber threat you can ever catch on the web. Their possible consequences and distribution methods may vary drastically. That’s the main reason why we have created the article below – to inform you about what must be expected from a contamination rendered by a particular Trojan horse virus – Terdot. To help you with the process of dealing with and removing this malware, we have also designed a specialized Removal Guide.
What to constantly keep in mind if your device has been infected by a Trojan:
Trojans make up a considerably large malware category, which consists of plenty of viruses with different functions. What makes them all a family is the way in which they infect, and after that – cause damage to you and your PC. It is typical for all their activities to go unnoticed until it is already too late. Generally speaking, the victim users find out an infection has taken place only following the damaging activities of the virus. This is the main reason why you need to always check your device for malicious infections. New virus versions and subcategories are created on a daily basis and your anti-virus program may not have them all included in its databases. In addition, keep in mind that an efficient anti-malware app is the updated one. The act of applying updates on a regular basis is essential.
The reason why these viruses are known as Trojans:
We have already discussed the normal way of functioning of this type of viruses in the paragraph above. They are likely to infect your device in a subtle way, after which they will simply lurk there silently, waiting for the best moment for them to execute whatever malicious activity they have been designed to implement. The manner in which they act resembles the way in which the wooden horse from the Trojan War tale once accomplished its mission. We all know that the citizens of Troy believed the horse was a present in the name of the coming peace at first. However, the Greek armed forces that were hiding inside it got out and conquered the city of Troy when everyone least expected it.
Terdot Banking Trojan Removal
Some of the steps will likely require you to exit the page. Bookmark it for later reference.
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
WARNING! READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING!
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC at the same time and go to the Processes Tab. Try to determine which processes are dangerous.
Right click on each of them and select Open File Location. Then scan the files with our free online virus scanner:
This scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users. You can find its full-page version at: https://howtoremove.guide/online-virus-scanner/
After you open their folder, end the processes that are infected, then delete their folders.
Note: If you are sure something is part of the infection – delete it, even if the scanner doesn’t flag it. No anti-virus program can detect all infections.
Hold together the Start Key and R. Type appwiz.cpl –> OK.
You are now in the Control Panel. Look for suspicious entries. Uninstall it/them. If you see a screen like this when you click Uninstall, choose NO:
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer or otherwise look suspicious.
- Remember this step – if you have reason to believe a bigger threat (like ransomware) is on your PC, check everything here.
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
A new file will open. If you are hacked, there will be a bunch of other IPs connected to you at the bottom. Look at the image below:
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
To remove parasite on your own, you may have to meddle with system files and registries. If you were to do this, you need to be extremely careful, because you may damage your system.
If you want to avoid the risk, we recommend downloading SpyHunter - a professional malware removal tool - to see whether it will find malicious programs on your PC.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter.
Once inside, press CTRL and F together and type the virus’s Name. Right click and delete any entries you find with a similar name. If they don’t show up this way, go manually to these directories and delete/uninstall them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. It could be any one of them – ask us if you can’t discern which ones are malicious.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
If the guide didn’t help you, download the anti-virus program we recommended or ask us in the comments for guidance!
What may possibly go wrong as a result of the infection with Terdot?
Probably the most bothering side of catching any Trojan is the uncertainty that comes as a result of the infection. You will never be able to really tell what the purpose of Terdot is until this malware has accomplished whatever it has been programmed to. Here you can read about some of the most common Trojan usages, however, they may not be the only ones:
- Stealing sensitive info is a possibility: This exact possibility is one of the most terrifying ones. Such malicious software such as Terdot may be and oftentimes really is all about getting access to some sensitive private details. Some cyber-scammers might need access to your social media accounts or banking credentials so as to commit a crime on your behalf. Such a scenario might involve the victims becoming unable to prove who they really are. All their personal information, which could be accessible on the web, may be compromised or destroyed.
- The act of spying on you personally or professionally is also possible: This plot is again one of the nasty ones. Some cyber criminals may be willing to target you physically. Therefore, your affected device may end up attacked by a virus like Terdot, and you might end up being spied on constantly every day.
- The distribution of other dangerous versions of malicious software may occur: Typically, Trojans are used for distributing other malicious programs, for instance, Ransomware-like viruses.
Very likely sources of programs such as Terdot:
In the next few sentences we have described some of the numerous sources of Trojans. We aren’t able to discuss all of them in just one article. Nonetheless, we will point out the most usual ones:
- Fake advertisements like the pop-ups and banners you might see daily while browsing the web;
- Torrents, shareware, videos and illegal programs, distributed on the Internet, and all the web platforms that may be spreading them;
- Spam emails and all their attachments;
In order to remove the Terdot-inflicted infection, follow the steps in our Removal Guide.
|Danger Level||High (Trojans are often used as a backdoor for Ransomware)|
|Symptoms||At first there are no symptoms but then – you see that there is something wrong – however, it is usually a little late.|
|Distribution Method||Via fake pop-ups and ads of all sorts, fake requests, etc. Via spam and illegal software.|