This page aims to help you remove Vawtrak Trojan. These Vawtrak Trojan removal instructions work for every version of Windows.
If you want to keep your PC safe, you might want to read this
In the past decade or so the Internet has been getting bigger and bigger. Nowadays there’s just so much depending on it, that it seems very hard to imagine living without access to the world wide web. There’s a good reason for it – it’s just that the Internet can be so incredibly useful and entertaining. However, another aspect of it has been developing as well – the Internet’s potential to harm computers or any other digital devices. The more widely-spread the world wide web becomes, the more it gets exploited by various virtual criminals. Newer and more advanced viruses are getting created daily and with each newer version they’re becoming more and more malicious and difficult to deal with. There’s a particular type of viruses that has been standing out ever since it was firstly developed – The Trojan Horse class. Trojan viruses are extremely popular among hackers and online criminals. The reason for that is because this type of malicious programs is capable of completing a mind-blowing variety of illegal tasks and is also incredibly hard to trace back to the hacker. Trojans are basically the swiss knife of harmful software and that is why they are some of the most common threats that users face online on a daily basis. In this article our focus will be Vawtrak Trojan – one of the latest Trojan threats. We will try to give you some general info on what it is capable of, how your machine may get infected with Vawtrak Trojan and how you can prevent this from happening. However, know that since Trojan Horses are so incredibly versatile, there’re surely aspects of Vawtrak Trojan that are not going to be mentioned in our article. Still, we will try to give you as much important information as possible so as to help you protect you PC.
The list of possible harmful effects that Vawtrak Trojan can have on your computer and your privacy is enormous. As we already said, there’s just so many illegal tasks that a Trojan Horse can be used for. Here, we will only mention Vawtrak Trojan’s most common and dangerous uses.
- System mayhem – The malicious Trojan is basically capable of turning your PC into a useless piece of scrap if it gets deep enough into your machine’s system. It can delete programs, format the hard drive, corrupt files or outright render your whole computer unusable. This, of course, does not gain the hacker anything (that is unless he’s out to get you), but it is still a possibility and surely you wouldn’t want it to happen to your PC.
- Espionage – Destruction of your machine’s system may be nasty, but it’s even worse when your own computer is turned into a spying device. Trojans are capable of doing that in various ways. Some of the most common ones are keystroke logging and screen monitoring. However, the one method that is probably the most spine-chilling is when the virus uses your webcam to spy on you without you having any idea of it. That is why if you suspect that you may have Vawtrak Trojan on your PC, take steps immediately to ensure your privacy!
- Theft – one of the most common uses of a Trojan Horse is for electronic money theft. Often this is combined with the espionage. Firstly, the virus enables the hacker to bust into your online bank accounts by spying on you and then extracts your money without you suspecting a thing. By the time you’ve found out that you’ve been robbed, it will probably be way too late to undertake any effective counteract.
- Mining and botnet – apart from everything else, a Trojan can be used to turn your PC into a cyber-currency mining tool or can make your PC a part of a botnet. If your computer is used for mining, the it will be collecting some kind of cyber-currency such as bitcoins, thus earning revenue for the hacker. If your computer becomes part of a botnet, this means that it will be forced to do a certain task such as sending of spam e-mails or further distributing of malicious software throughout the net. In either of those cases, your PC will likely remain unharmed as long as it is being exploited. However, if you find out that this is happening with your machine, make sure to contact a professional immediately.
- Further infection – the last entry on our list would be the possibility of Vawtrak Trojan being used as a gateway for other harmful programs. A very common example is people’s computers getting infected by a Ransomware, which gets into their PC with the help of the malicious Trojan Horse.
We cannot stress enough how important it is to keep your PC protected – especially against Vawtrak Trojan and other Trojans. These type of viruses have hardly ever any symptoms. Therefore, detecting them is very difficult. The methods via they get distributed vary: from spam e-mails to shady webpages, from illegal torrents to file-sharing sites – the possibilities are just way too many. A general rule here should be to avoid visiting any suspicious web addresses and having a good anti-virus software. Just make sure to always use your common sense when browsing and/or downloading files and never take any unnecessary risks that may compromise your PC’s security.
If you suspect that you may have the malicious Trojan messing with your machine, we advise you to try our guide on how to remove Vawtrak Trojan down below this article. Thanks for reading!
|Danger Level||High (Trojans are often used as a backdoor for Ransomware)|
|Symptoms||Usually there are no symptoms. Still, be on the lookout for any unusual behaviour of your machine, this might be an indication that somethin’s not quite right.|
|Distribution Method||Spam e-mails, torrent and file-sharing sites, other shady and illegal webpages.|
|Detection Tool||Vawtrak may be difficult to track down. Use SpyHunter – a professional parasite scanner – to make sure you find all files related to the infection.|
Remove Vawtrak Trojan
Readers are interested in:
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
This is the first preparation.
The first thing you absolutely must do is Reveal All Hidden Files and Folders.
- Do not skip this. Vawtrak Trojan may have hidden some of its files and you need to see them.
Hold together the Start Key and R. Type appwiz.cpl –> OK.
You are now in the Control Panel. Look for suspicious entries. Uninstall it/them. If you see a screen like this when you click Uninstall, choose NO:
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer or otherwise look suspicious.
- Remember this step – if you have reason to believe a bigger threat (like ransomware) is on your PC, check everything here.
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
A new file will open. If you are hacked, there will be a bunch of other IPs connected to you at the bottom. Look at the image below:
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC simultaneously. Go to the Processes Tab. Try to determine which ones are a virus. Google them or ask us in the comments.
WARNING! READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING!
- This step is very important, because you can catch other threats (like Ransomware and Spyware) while looking for the Adware process.
Right click on each of the virus processes separately and select Open File Location. End the process after you open the folder, then delete the directories you were sent to.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter.
Once inside, press CTRL and F together and type the virus’s Name. Right click and delete any entries you find with a similar name. If they don’t show this way, go manually to these directories and delete/uninstall them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. It could be any one of them – ask us if you can’t discern which ones are malicious.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
If all the prior steps fail to help you or you have reason to believe your system is exposed to threats like Ransomware, we advise you to download a professional scanner and remover.
Remember to leave us a comment if you run into any trouble!