This page aims to help you remove VirLocker Ransomware for free. Our instructions also cover how any VirLocker Ransomware file can be recovered.
The paragraphs below will help you learn everything you need to know about a specific Ransomware-based product – VirLocker. This encryption-provoking malicious program is among the worst cyber threats you can ever encounter while browsing the web. Not only is it extremely dangerous, but it is also very difficult to be removed. As a result, many experts find it difficult to remove the virus from the infected computer, or to restore the files, blocked by it. In the following article we are going to share some removal instructions, as well as some safety and prevention tips. Maybe our guide and our article will be the help you need to successfully deal with this terrible virus.
VirLocker – a member of the data-encrypting Ransomware Category
The particular program we are reviewing here is called VirLocker Ransomware. It is a perfect example of data-blocking Ransomware. Its main activities after it has infected your machine include:
- Completely scanning your hard disks and drives;
- Compiling a list with all the files that have currently been in use;
- Locking up every single file from the aforementioned list with a very difficult to crack encryption key;
- After all the data has been encoded – generating an extremely disturbing ransom alert;
- Normally, such a ransom-demanding message will include threats to further motivate you to pay the demanded ransom; some payment details and a deadline.
Normally, Ransomware could be divided into data-encrypting, desktop-blocking and mobile categories. We have explained what the file-encoding type does. What the other two subtypes do is to block your access to the desktop of your laptop/computer; or the screen of your mobile device. No data becomes a victim in such a case, you are just prevented from accessing your apps, programs, shortcuts and files and you are again asked to pay an amount of money in order to remove the virus.
The sensible way of acting after receiving the ransom notification
Ultimately, the best you can do and should do is to WAIT before completing the ransom payment. In no way is paying the required ransom a good idea and we will tell you why that is. It’s that you get no guarantee for the recovery of your encrypted data even if you have paid the ransom. Usually, the hackers you are dealing with are dishonest people and once they have received your money, you may never access your files again. What’s more, they will be even more motivated to harass more and more people in case you fall into their trap.
Is there a successful solution when it comes to the VirLocker-caused contamination?
It is very difficult to advise you what to do in case of such an infection, there is probably no answer sensible enough. Nevertheless, you can always try the Removal Guide we have included in this article. We have assembled it especially for cases like yours and it could be helpful. Unfortunately, we cannot give you any guarantees about the future of your system and your encrypted data either. Try all the options and believe in the good outcome of your actions, there is really nothing more than you can do.
The truth is – only prevention can help you against Ransomware
In fact, staying Ransomware-free is the only successful anti-Ransomware therapy. All you need to do is to surf the web wisely. Another important aspect of your cyber health is the installation of a trustworthy anti-malware tool, which could be able to detect and stop the contamination while it is still in progress. Also, you should always stay away from the following file-encryption Ransomware sources and you are likely to minimize the chances of catching such a horrid virus:
- Avoid all the emails you have received and you are unable to recognize. Be especially careful with the ones with strange titles or bad writing style. They are very likely to contain malware. In case you are even slightly suspicious of the nature of these emails, you should never open them.
- Do not download any email attachments – even images and text documents may be infected with data-locking up malware.
- Also, avoid clicking on a link on a website or in a chat message if you aren’t absolutely sure the sender is trustworthy.
- Stay away from all the pop-ups that you come across on the web. There is really no visual difference between the harmless ones and the malicious ones. As you cannot tell them apart, consider avoiding them all.
- Sometimes you may receive a desktop notification stating that you need to update a component of your system – avoid such messages. Manually check for updates as sometimes these may be malware-containing pop-ups.
|Danger Level||High (Ransomware is by far the worst threat you can encounter)|
|Symptoms||Rarely any before the generation of the ransom-demanding alert. Sometimes the process of encryption makes the entire machine slower.|
|Distribution Method||By visiting unsafe webpages; opening suspicious emails; downloading strange email attachments; clicking on malicious online ads, etc.|
|Detection Tool||We generally recommend SpyHunter or a similar anti-malware program that is updated daily.|
VirLocker Ransomware Removal
Some of the steps will likely require you to exit the page. Bookmark it for later reference.
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
This is the most important step. Do not skip it if you want to remove VirLocker successfully!
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC at the same time and go to the Processes Tab. Try to determine which processes are dangerous.
Right click on each of them and select Open File Location. Then scan the files with our free online virus scanner:
This scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users. You can find its full-page version at: https://howtoremove.guide/online-virus-scanner/
After you open their folder, end the processes that are infected, then delete their folders.
Note: If you are sure something is part of the infection – delete it, even if the scanner doesn’t flag it. No anti-virus program can detect all infections.
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
A new file will open. If you are hacked, there will be a bunch of other IPs connected to you at the bottom. Look at the image below:
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Go in Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer.
- Please note that ransomware may even include a fake Manufacturer name to its process. Make sure you check out every process here is legitimate.
To remove parasite, you may have to meddle with system files and registries. Making a mistake and deleting the wrong thing may damage your system.
Avoid this by using SpyHunter - a professional Parasite removal tool.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter. Once inside, press CTRL and F together and type the virus’s Name.
Search for the ransomware in your registries and delete the entries. Be extremely careful – you can damage your system if you delete entries not related to the ransomware.
Type each of the following in the Windows Search Field:
Delete everything in Temp. The rest just check out for anything recently added. Remember to leave us a comment if you run into any trouble!
How to Decrypt VirLocker files
We have a comprehensive (and daily updated) guide on how to decrypt your files. Check it out here.
If the guide didn’t help you, download the anti-virus program we recommended or ask us in the comments for guidance!