*Source of claim SH can remove it.
Captchawizard.top is an unreliable site that aims to generate redirects to suspicious and malicious websites. Most visitors get into Captchawizard.top by accident, are redirected by intrusive ads, or targeted by PUAs (potentially unwanted applications).
Hundreds of banners and aggressive ads pop-up on your screen the moment you open your browser? If this is what has been happening with you lately, Captchawizard.top “Virus” might be held accountable for that activity. The main reason why you are experiencing this intrusive ad-generation is that this invasive Browser Hijacker has incorporated itself inside the computer and especially your browser. PC experts are well acquainted of those types of applications and usually, refer to them as potentially unwanted applications. In this article, we will provide you with more information about their nature, and will also equip you with a detailed removal guide, which will enable you to take care of the annoying software.To be able to properly get rid of a Browser Hijacker program such as Captchawizard.top, Lookaside.fbsbx.com or Searchmenow.gg you’ll need at least a basic understanding of what precisely this type of software is capable of.
The Captchawizard.top Virus
The Captchawizard.top Virus may be used for any software made to spam a multitude of adverts on the user’s screen. The Captchawizard.top Virus employs a selection of practices to successfully promote different third-party banners, sponsored redirects, pop-ups, and pop-unders.
We tested that SpyHunter successfully removes parasite*, and we recommend downloading it. Manual removal may take hours, it can harm your system if you re not careful, and parasite may reinstall itself at the end if you don't delete its core files.
*Source of claim SH can remove it.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Captchawizard.top!
How to remove Captchawizard.top Virus
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Captchawizard.top in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Captchawizard.top from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
If you have a Mac virus, please use our How to remove Ads on Mac guide.
If you have an Android virus, please use our Android Malware Removal guide.
If you have an iPhone virus, please use our iPhone Virus Removal guide.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Captchawizard.top.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Captchawizard.top.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Captchawizard.top from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Captchawizard.top extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to the malware and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Captchawizard.top on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Captchawizard.top extension
- Get rid of Captchawizard.top by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by the malicious program or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Captchawizard.top
- Open task manager
- Look for the Captchawizard.top process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Captchawizard.top
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a malicious process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- Each file will be scanned with up to 64 antivirus programs to ensure maximum accuracyThis scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users.This file is not matched with any known malware in the database. You can either do a full real-time scan of the file or skip it to upload a new file. Doing a full scan with 64 antivirus programs can take up to 3-4 minutes per file.Drag and Drop File Here To ScanAnalyzing 0 s
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Captchawizard.top
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Captchawizard.top in there
- Uninstall Captchawizard.top from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Captchawizard.top-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Captchawizard.top in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
They typically install an ad-generating component inside the main browser or replace its homepage and/or search engine with some sponsored one. The main reason why those invasive programs are so problematic is that they have a tendency to seriously disturb your browsing experience. Probably none of this should be surprising because, let’s be honest, the goal of apps like Captchawizard.top is to earn some money every time you click on the displayed Ads. Thanks to methods like pay-per-click, the creators can earn a small amount in revenue every time the users click on any of the prompted messages. Unfortunately, in its attempts to promote more and to earn more, the Hijacker could be very aggressive when displaying advertisements. It’s likely that you’d be unable to use your browser due to the constant flow of pop-ups, box-messages, and banners. Handling this unpleasant activity is usually quite annoying. However, it is inaccurate to label Hijackers like Captchawizard.top Pop-up as some malicious viruses because they are not.
Is Captchawizard.top dangerous?
You can easily determine if a program is harmful by checking its behavior and how it interacts with the data in your system. A real virus or a piece of malware, such as a Trojan Horse or a Ransomware would usually have fatal consequences for your PC. They can mess with your data, delete important files or software, blackmail you and much more. As you have probably already identified, the primary aim of programs like Captchawizard.top “Virus” is to display adverts to the user’s screens, which is not something that can harm your computer directly. Yet, despite not being an actual malicious software, the Browser Hijackers can still serve as a portal for high-risk cyber-threats, such as Trojan Horses or Ransomware because the ads and the links they display may sometimes contain malicious scripts. This is the reason why interacting with the Adverts generated by such software is a bad idea – you simply cannot know where you’ll be redirected to. Malicious sites are a very real danger and, in some of the cases, Captchawizard.top and similar Hijacker applications may display adverts that work as a link to such sites.