Jvids.ru is an invasive piece of software that operates in a fashion similar to a browser add-on. Jvids.ru, however, is no regular browsing extension – it is a browser hijacker.
The Jvids.ru Virus
The main goal of the Jvids.ru virus is to generate money by applying a variety of online marketing and advertising techniques. To complete its job effectively, the Jvids.ru virus may make changes in the search engine of the browser, or outright replace it.
The same may happen to your new-tab page, and homepage – both of them may get replaced by a web address that the hijacker is supposed to promote. In this way, every time you open your browsing program, you’d be inadvertently creating traffic to that site, and you’d be getting page-redirects to it. Any browser, from popular ones like Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, to lesser known ones, can get affected by a hijacker. This remains true even after the attempts of browser developers to introduce safety mechanisms in their browsers that are supposed to prevent hijacker installation. This means that it’s still up to the users themselves to make sure that their browsing programs do not get invaded by such irritating and undesirable apps as Jvids.ru, Vivid Captcha, iStart Search Bar.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||Usually accompanied by a vast number of online ads such as popups, banners, box messages, in-text links, and others.|
|Distribution Method||Program bundles obtained from dubious download sources such as file-sharing platforms, torrent sites, and similar.|
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Jvids.ru!
How to remove Jvids.ru
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Jvids.ru in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Jvids.ru from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Jvids.ru.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Jvids.ru.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Jvids.ru from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Jvids.ru extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to Jvids.ru and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Jvids.ru on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Jvids.ru extension
- Get rid of Jvids.ru by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “Jvids.ru” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Jvids.ru
- Open task manager
- Look for the Jvids.ru process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Jvids.ru
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “Jvids.ru” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Jvids.ru
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Jvids.ru in there
- Uninstall Jvids.ru from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Jvids.ru-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Jvids.ru in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
What is Jvids.ru?
However, since you are here, we assume that you have already had this unpleasant and frustrating app added to your browser. The good news is that, by the end of this post, you should be able to quickly uninstall it, and bring back the browser settings that you prefer. The app you are currently faced with is no virus – it’s also not some scary Trojan Horse, a Spyware program, or a Ransomware cryptovirus. Despite what many may think about the hijacker software category, these apps are typically not all that harmful. For the most part, they tend to be an annoyance rather than a real direct threat to your computer, and data. However, you should still uninstall such software whenever you notice it in the computer – the next paragraph will tell you why.
How can Jvids.ru negatively affect the safety of your system?
Even if this app doesn’t try to cause any damage to the computer, or carry out any other malicious activities, it is still a software component that you are advised to remove ASAP. The ads, the redirects, and the changes in your browser that have resulted from the presence of the hijacker are all potential security weaknesses that some actual malware program may exploit. This isn’t to say that Jvids.ru is intended to make your system more vulnerable, but that could certainly be a by-product of its activities. The obscure ads of unknown origins are an especially risky factor, as you could never know where they might lead you to. Oftentimes, deceitful ads like these can be used to spread Trojans, Spyware, and nasty Ransomware cryptovirus infections, and that is why it’s essential that you keep your browser clean from such ads, or else the chances of getting your system infected go up quite a bit.