Among all the applications that are available online, there is a specific type of software that is famous for its ability to generate and display a huge amount of ads, banners, pop-ups, and new tabs on the user’s screen. This software is known as browser hijackers and Stanleyde.com is one typical representative.
Once it has been installed on your PC, this program may replace your search engine with another one, change your homepage, or redirect most of your searches to some specific sponsored web pages that you may not really find useful, relevant, or secure. The most common browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Explorer, or others could easily be affected by the browser hijacker and its potentially undesired changes. As a result, you may experience a flow of intrusive advertising messages that may heavily interrupt your normal browsing activity. If you are already experiencing what we are talking about, then this page may contain the solution that you are looking for. Here we will show you how to remove Stanleyde.com and bring back your normal browser settings. But before that, let us tell you a few more words about this program and the way it affects your computer.
The Stanleyde Scam
The Stanleyde scam is a potentially unwanted and virus-like program that operates solely as a browser redirect and as a rule, applies changes to popular web browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, and others. The Stanleyde scam alters homepage settings and redirects the affected users to Stanleyde.com.
How to Remove Stanleyde.com completely?
Unless you fully uninstall the hidden ad-generating components, Stanleyde.com will keep disturbing you with popping boxes, redirections, and intrusive sponsored web pages every time you open your browser. That’s why complete removal is important if you want to save yourself from all these irritating activities. The removal guide below is created with the idea to help you get rid of this browser hijacker effectively and if you closely follow its instructions, you’ll soon be ads-free.
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Stanleyde.com!
How to remove Stanleyde.com
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Stanleyde.com in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Stanleyde.com from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
If you have a Mac virus, please use our How to remove Ads on Mac guide.
If you have an Android virus, please use our Android Malware Removal guide.
If you have an iPhone virus, please use our iPhone Virus Removal guide.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Stanleyde.com.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Stanleyde.com.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Stanleyde.com from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Stanleyde.com extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to Stanleyde.com and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Stanleyde.com on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Stanleyde.com extension
- Get rid of Stanleyde.com by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “Stanleyde.com” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Stanleyde.com
- Open task manager
- Look for the Stanleyde.com process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Stanleyde.com
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “Stanleyde.com” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- Each file will be scanned with up to 64 antivirus programs to ensure maximum accuracyThis scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users.This file is not matched with any known malware in the database. You can either do a full real-time scan of the file or skip it to upload a new file. Doing a full scan with 64 antivirus programs can take up to 3-4 minutes per file.Drag and Drop File Here To ScanAnalyzing 0 s
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Stanleyde.com
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Stanleyde.com in there
- Uninstall Stanleyde.com from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Stanleyde.com-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Stanleyde.com in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
What is Stanleyde.com?
This is probably the first thing that you would like to know when intrusive software like this one has taken over your computer. But fear not! Stanleyde.com is not a Virus. Browser hijackers do cause some strange and undesired changes to your browser without your approval, but they are not capable of inflicting major harm to your system as real malware could. Viruses, Trojans, Ransomware, and Spyware are the real threats you should be concerned about because they can harm your system in ways and means you can’t imagine. Stanleyde.com, however, as intrusive as it could be, may irritate you with its constant ads, page redirects, and new tabs, but nothing more.. Browser hijackers do cause some strange and undesired changes to your browser without your approval, but they are not capable of inflicting major harm to your system as real malware could. Viruses, Trojans, Ransomware, and Spyware are the real threats you should be concerned about because they can harm your system in ways and means you can’t imagine. Stanleyde.com, however, as intrusive as it could be, may irritate you with its constant ads, page redirects, and new tabs, but nothing more.
How did you get Stanleyde.com on your PC?
Can you recall if you have recently installed new software on your system? If yes, then you have probably got the browser hijacker along with it. This usually happens because these programs are often distributed in software bundles of other applications, free software installers, installation managers, torrents, spam emails, or file-sharing platforms. The moment people run the setup of the desired program, they simply follow the standard installation option and get it installed the usual way. This option, however, doesn’t give them detailed information about the additional programs that the bundle may contain and they usually get installed by default. To prevent that, we advise all our readers to skip the standard option and go to the “Advanced” or in some installers the “Custom” option. There, they can see the additionally packed programs and deselect them from the installer. This advice could be taken also as a safety measure, because having more control over the installer sometimes may prevent even malware like Trojans or Ransomware from sneaking inside your PC unnoticed.
Is Stanleyde.com dangerous?
You may wonder why anyone would need to bombard you with so many annoying ads, pop-ups, pages, and boxes, where there isn’t any use for you. Well, there is a benefit for Stanleyde.com’s creators. With the help of this software, they earn from the clicks of the advertisements you see. This is possible through the famous Pay-Per-Click model, where vendors and marketers pay for every single click that their ads receive. Now it is all clear why the ads are so aggressively popping up on your screen and tricking you into clicking on them by all means. The browser hijackers may even track your online behavior and browsing history to ensure that they match their ads with your searches and hopefully make you click on a few more pop-ups that you may be interested in. Having said this, it is understandable why to some users all this activity may be a source of huge irritation and they may wish to remove Stanleyde.com to save themselves from the ads.