Astirvantblog is a rogue app that functions as a browser plug-in and its main purpose is to control your browser and cause it to promote different sites by page-redirecting you to them. Astirvantblog is also known for injecting ads in the search results as well as for replacing the default browser homepage.
The Browser hijackers are commonly mistaken for nasty viruses and many users tend to fear them as much as they fear Ransomware and the Trojan Horse infections despite the fact that the hijackers are not actually malicious. This is because the symptoms of infection with browser hijackers are somewhat similar to the symptoms of infection with certain types of viruses and malware. For example, the appearance of a large number of banners, aggressive ads and pop-up windows on the screen of your PC are a common disturbance which could be caused by both some forms of malware as well as by hijackers. In addition, most applications of this category behave aggressively by changing the settings of your Chrome, Firefox, Edge or other popular browser and setting a new home page, a sponsored search engine, or a toolbar, which automatically redirects all your searches to different sponsored pages without your approval. Uninstalling those changes and getting rid of the ads and pop-ups is also rather difficult and most users can’t figure out how to do it effectively. The reason is, unlike most regular applications, the browser hijackers’ uninstallation process is quite different and requires the assistance of a professional removal tool or the correct implementation of certain removal steps. But do not worry – if you are on this page because you have recently been getting disturbed by the ads and the browser changes initiated by an application called Astirvantblog , then we will help you with this inconvenience. Below, you will find detailed removal instructions on how to remove the unwanted hijacker which you can use for free. There is also a trusted Astirvantblog removal tool for automatic assistance if you are not confident enough to tinker with the settings of your computer on your own. But before proceeding, we would still advise you to take a couple more minutes to rest of the information about the nature of Astirvantblog and other such applications.
The Astirvantblog Virus
As their name suggests, browser hijackers like the Astirvantblog virus “hijack” your browser and change the way it operates by imposing certain changes on it. “But why is all this being done by the Astirvantblog Virus?” you may ask.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||A new homepage or a search engine may get installed on your browser without permission.|
|Distribution Method||Software bundling is a common distribution method for many browser hijackers.|
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Astirvantblog!
How to remove Astirvantblog
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Astirvantblog in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Astirvantblog from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Astirvantblog.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Astirvantblog.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Astirvantblog from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Astirvantblog extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to Astirvantblog and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Astirvantblog on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Astirvantblog extension
- Get rid of Astirvantblog by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “Astirvantblog” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Astirvantblog
- Open task manager
- Look for the Astirvantblog process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Astirvantblog
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “Astirvantblog” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Astirvantblog
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Astirvantblog in there
- Uninstall Astirvantblog from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Astirvantblog-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Astirvantblog in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
Is Astirvantblog dangerous?
Well, the fact is that these changes contribute to the generation of online advertisements such as banners, redirect links, pop-ups, etc. on the screen of your PC while you surf the Internet. And this, in turn, is necessary for the promotion of a variety of goods and services. From a legal point of view, there is nothing criminal or damaging in the attempts of the browser hijacker to advertise. However, applications like Astirvantblog and Couch Extension may often expose you to different sketchy web locations and make you interact with questionable content. This is important to know because, although they do it with the goal of making the ad generation more efficient, this activity could increase the risk of landing on malware transmitters or clicking on a real virus, a Ransomware or another nasty threat. It would be worth keeping this in mind if you are hesitant about whether to keep Astirvantblog on your PC or remove it.
Leave a Comment