Ibytot is a browser hijacking program that is known for its ability to modify browser settings without permission. Normally, Ibytot gets attached to browsers like Chrome, Firefox and Edge with the idea to force them into displaying sponsored web ads.
The main issue that users face with apps like Ibytot is that, no matter how hard they try to regain control of their browser, the hijacker keeps interfering with it by installing supporting components and imposing search engine and homepage modifications. In addition, this software is known to constantly initiate page redirects to sites that aren’t related to your actual searches and may spam your screen with unwanted pop-up ads and banners that are difficult to remove.
This surely isn’t as problematic as dealing with a ransomware virus that has encrypted your files or a Trojan horse threat that has corrupted your entire system but it might still be an unpleasant experience to have.
The Ibytot Virus
The Ibytot Virus is generally software created with the idea to raise money for its creators through various methods of web marketing. The Ibytot virus and other similar apps are set to provide the browser they are installed in with a new homepage and a new tab-page address, as well as to replace the default search engine with a new one that constantly displays sponsored links and pre-defined search results.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||Auto-redirects to ad-supported sites, changes in the browesr’s settings, aggressive ads all over the screen.|
|Distribution Method||Commonly, many browser hijackers get distributed as bonus components in free software bundles.|
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Ibytot!
How to remove Ibytot
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Ibytot in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Ibytot from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Ibytot.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Ibytot.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Ibytot from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Ibytot extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to Ibytot and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Ibytot on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Ibytot extension
- Get rid of Ibytot by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “Ibytot” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Ibytot
- Open task manager
- Look for the Ibytot process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Ibytot
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “Ibytot” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Ibytot
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Ibytot in there
- Uninstall Ibytot from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Ibytot-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Ibytot in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
Is Ibytot a virus?
The ultimate goal of the browser hijacker is to make users click on specific ads and links that generate pay-per-click revenue. Thus, they typically use the changed browser components in their favor to automatically redirect users’ searches to the revenue-generating pages and ads.
Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and any other browser you might think of might be targeted and hijacked because the browser hijackers are not limited to a single browser and are compatible with many web browsing apps. For this reason, it doesn’t make a difference which browser you are using. A change in your default browser with another one will also not save you as, unless you fully uninstall the hijacker from your system, you will probably be subjected to its activities each time that you try to look for something on the Internet.
Most web users may find the Ibytot virus as quite frustrating. Many of them may even be quick to assume that they have been infected with a virus or some other malware (ransomware, Trojans, etc.)
Is Ibytot dangerous?
The positive news here is that, while the actions carried out by Ibytot or another browser hijacker representative like Captcha Cool Now can be really annoying and hard to remove, it’s not possible for this software to cause a lasting negative effect on your system. Moreover, you should be able to easily uninstall the annoying browser hijacking app, as long as you remain calm and use the instructions in our guide and/or the removal tool that has been linked there.
If you want to prevent a close encounter with apps like Ibytot in the future, don’t forget to be careful when you install new software on your computer. Commonly, a lot of browser hijackers are added to the installation package of some other software in the form of free or bonus components. Thus, you should always read the EULA and use the custom installation option in order to have better control of the setup of such additional installs.
Leave a Comment