Ourbestspot is what experts classify as your typical browser hijacking program. It is called that way, because once Ourbestspot gets into your system, it will ‘hijack’ the settings of your main browser.
And with that said, we should also point out that browser hijackers like this can infiltrate pretty much any browsing program out there. This includes but is not limited to Chrome, Firefox and Edge. Now as for the settings that a program like Ourbestspot or Frmsepmain can hijack, usually these have to do with the browser homepage and its default search engine, as well. You may have already discovered that these particular elements in your browser have been changed.
In addition, browser hijackers like this tend to add extra elements to the browser such as add-ons and new toolbars. But what’s most characteristic of these types of programs is that they install ad-generating components in the infected browser. And as a result, your browser becomes flooded with popups, in-text links, box messages and banners in every shape and size. And let’s also not forget to mention the highly annoying page redirects that software of this type triggers.
All of this is done with the intention of promoting certain products and services. On in the case with the homepage changes, for instance, it’s to drive more traffic to a certain website. But it all essentially boils down to generating profit for the browser hijacker developers.
If you have a Windows virus, continue with the guide below.
If you have a Mac virus, please use our How to remove Ads on Mac guide.
If you have an Android virus, please use our Android Malware Removal guide.
If you have an iPhone virus, please use our iPhone Virus Removal guide
How to remove Ourbestspot
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Ourbestspot in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Ourbestspot from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Ourbestspot.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Ourbestspot.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Ourbestspot from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Ourbestspot extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to Ourbestspot and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Ourbestspot on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Ourbestspot extension
- Get rid of Ourbestspot by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “Ourbestspot” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Ourbestspot
- Open task manager
- Look for the Ourbestspot process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Ourbestspot
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “Ourbestspot” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Ourbestspot
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Ourbestspot in there
- Uninstall Ourbestspot from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Hostingcloud. racing-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Ourbestspot in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
Software like Ourbestspot is often engaged in popular online business models such as Pay Per Click and Pay Per View. Hence, every time a user clicks on some of the displayed ads, the developers earn some small commission. This should explain the rather aggressive placement of the ads on your screen. But if you’d like to rid yourself of all these unnecessary changes, you can do so only by removing Ourbestspot from your computer. This can be done by following a series of steps which we’ve described in the removal guide below.
Browser hijackers like the Ourbestspot virus aren’t generally considered to be harmful, but experts still put them in the category of potentially unwanted programs or PUPs. What this means is that although the Ourbestspot virus may not do anything to cause direct harm on your PC, it is still undesirable for a number of reasons.
For one, their presence could potentially result in exposure to viruses and malware. For example, if you are redirected to a website that is insecure or has been tampered with by hackers, you could face threats like Trojan horse viruses, rootkits, ransomware and others.
In addition, due to the way that browser hijackers generate profit for their developers, they may engage in certain activities to boots these profits. Namely, software with Ourbestspot is often associated with various data-collection techniques from users’ browsers. They can look into your browsing history, determine your patterns and define the type of content you tend to gravitate towards. And this information can be used to showcase tailored ads for your specifically. However, on the downside, this information may also be distributed to third parties, which is hardly something any user would be too happy about.
Leave a Comment