Qanatn.com is a PUA (potentially unwanted app) that can be categorized as a browser hijacker due to its aggressive behavior in the browser. Qanatn.com gets installed in the browser similarly to a browser add-on and it changes the settings of the affected browser without permission.
Some of the changes that typically occur when an app like this one gets added to the browser are replacements of certain browser elements (mainly the homepage and the search engine page/service). By making such changes in the browser, the hijacker is able to control your browsing experience to a certain extent, choosing what adverts you see, what search results are favoured when you look something up, and what sites you get redirected to whenever you click on an advert. In addition, this app will likely significantly increase the number of ads you see in your Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or other browser. If you have suddenly started seeing an unusually big number of advertisements in your browser and if you are frequently getting automatically redirected to sites that aggressively try to sell you their products or to get you to subscribe to some web service, then it is almost certain that there is a browser hijackers like Qanatn.com or Lookaside.fbsbx.com in your computer system.
The Qanatn.com Virus
One thing that users are typically mistaken about is the nature of the Qanatn.com virus of the hijacker category. While there are certainly a number of reasons why one could label such an app as malware, calling software like the Qanatn.com app a virus is technically not correct.
The reason for this becomes more apparent when we compare browser hijackers the likes of Qanatn.com to a dangerous malware threat like a Trojan or Ransomware. For starters, the hijacker doesn’t try to stay hidden and remain unnoticed (quite the opposite), whereas Trojans, Ransomware, and Spyware are all about staying undetected for as long as possible so that they could complete their harmful tasks.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||Usually accompanied by a vast number of online ads such as popups, banners, box messages, in-text links, and others.|
|Distribution Method||Program bundles obtained from dubious download sources such as file-sharing platforms, torrent sites, and similar.|
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Qanatn.com!
How to remove Qanatn.com
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Qanatn.com in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Qanatn.com from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Qanatn.com.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Qanatn.com.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Qanatn.com from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Qanatn.com extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to Qanatn.com and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Qanatn.com on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Qanatn.com extension
- Get rid of Qanatn.com by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “Qanatn.com” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Qanatn.com
- Open task manager
- Look for the Qanatn.com process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Qanatn.com
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “Qanatn.com” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Qanatn.com
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Qanatn.com in there
- Uninstall Qanatn.com from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Qanatn.com. racing-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Qanatn.com in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
The task of the software in question is another aspect in which hijackers and actual threatening viruses differ. While most forms of computer viruses are designed to harm or corrupt something in the system, or to spy on their victims, the hijacker apps are mostly used for making money through their paid ads – an activity that is far less harmful. All things considered, if there is a hijacker on your computer, there shouldn’t be a reason to panic. This, however, is not to say that you shouldn’t remove the invasive app and here’s why:
Security experts typically advise users to not allow the Qanatn.com virus to reside on their computers for long, or else the system could get potentially exposed to danger. Even though the Qanatn.com virus will probably not harm the computer, its adverts, pop-ups, and redirects could eventually land the user on insecure sites where more hazardous forms of software may be present.
It is, therefore, safer for your system if you use the instructions we have prepared to uninstall Qanatn.com and clean your browser.
I followed these steps tonight – qanatn.com did not display in any of the searches or extensions, but it is popping up every few seconds. I also purchased SpyHunter 5 Pro as recommended on this page and it has not been able to remove it. So frustrating.
You can contact SpyHunter Support to make a ticket of your issue and help you directly.