Recipni is a browser hijacker application that can infect all major browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Edge. Once Recipni is installed and activated, it will continuously bombard the user’s browser with advertisements.
However, the intrusive application does more than just overwhelm your preferred browser with pop-ups, box messages, and banners of different sizes and shapes. Recipni may also alter the browser’s main settings. For instance, you may have noticed that after Recipni appeared on your machine, the homepage of your browser has suddenly changed without your intervention. You may have found the same to be true for your default search engine, installed toolbars, etc. In addition, having Recipni in your OS may have caused your browser to randomly redirect you to different websites. This is done in order to ease the display of more sponsored advertisements on your screen, the clicks on which can generate income for the developers.
The way apps like Recipni.com operate is not illegal, but most security professionals put such software in a special category known as “Browser hijackers”. The only method to remove the changes Recipni.com have made to your web browser is to uninstall them from your computer.
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Recipni!
How to remove Recipni Virus
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item and find Recipni in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Recipni from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
If you have a Windows virus, continue with the guide below.
If you have a Mac virus, please use our How to remove Ads on Mac guide.
If you have an Android virus, please use our Android Malware Removal guide.
If you have an iPhone virus, please use our iPhone Virus Removal guide.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Recipni.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Recipni.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Recipni from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Recipni extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to Recipni and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Recipni on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Recipni extension
- Get rid of Recipni by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “Recipni” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Recipni
- Open task manager
- Look for the Recipni process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Recipni
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “Recipni” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Recipni
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Recipni in there
- Uninstall Recipni from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Recipni-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Recipni in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
What is Recipni.com ?
The catch is that uninstalling a browser hijacker can be more difficult than it seems. Creators of such programs typically do not include the standard uninstallation menu found in the vast majority of other software. As a result, victims must find and manually delete each component of the hijacker from their system. The problem is that the intrusive software may reinstall itself on the computer and continue to spam you with unwanted adverts if you forget to remove a certain file.
To help you get rid of Recipni, we’ve prepared a detailed guide with manual instructions that is absolutely free to use and has everything you need to permanently stop the ads disturbance in all major browsers. If you’d rather not waste time manually removing the hijacker, you can always resort to the professional removal tool included in the link.
Can Recipni cause harm to your PC?
If you landed on this page, you’re probably already very aggravated by the activity of Recipni on your computer. Which is very understandable. In our daily lives, having an undisturbed and safe online browsing experience is essential. The removal of Recipni isn’t just about restoring uninterrupted web browsing, though. It’s a security issue as well.
Users that install hijackers like Recipni may be at risk of being exposed to malicious software. For example, this may occur if the user is tricked into visiting a malicious website. Another way to come across viruses and online dangers is if you happen to interact with a malicious ad that has been infected. Now, this isn’t to imply that Recipni is a virus as well. However, getting rid of it will reduce the likelihood of you coming across a fake ad, or a malicious program like a Trojan horse or ransomware. And speaking about staying away from threats, we also would advise you to exercise greater caution in your online activities in the future, particularly with regard to the content you choose to download and click on.
Leave a Comment