SoBig Virus is one of the new representatives of malware category. Malware researchers are still investigating it to better understand what the SoBig Virus is capable of and how it can be counteracted and successfully removed.
On this page, we’ve tried to collect some basic information about SoBig Virus and its specifics which we will share with you in the next paragraphs. If you stay with us, you will also find some details about Trojan horses in general and the methods that you can use to protect your system from them.
If you have recently detected that SoBig Virus has compromised your machine, we may even help you to remove it by providing you with a detailed removal guide and a professional removal tool for self-help.
The SoBig Virus
Something very specific about Trojans like the SoBig Virus that you should keep in mind is that these hazards do not have a single objective. Instead, criminals can code and use them to perform different malicious tasks and to achieve multiple criminal goals one after the other.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove SoBig Virus!
How to remove SoBig Virus
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find SoBig Virus in the programs list that would show up.
- Select SoBig Virus from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to SoBig Virus.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to SoBig Virus.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove SoBig Virus from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the SoBig Virus extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to SoBig Virus and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of SoBig Virus on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the SoBig Virus extension
- Get rid of SoBig Virus by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “SoBig Virus” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete SoBig Virus
- Open task manager
- Look for the SoBig Virus process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete SoBig Virus
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “SoBig Virus” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall SoBig Virus
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for SoBig Virus in there
- Uninstall SoBig Virus from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any SoBig Virus-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to SoBig Virus in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
What is SoBig virus?
In most cases, a single Trojan virus is enough to steal your personal information from the infected computer (including passwords, login credentials, banking details, etc.), format all of your hard drives, spy on you through your webcam or mic and even sneak ransomware, rootkits and other malware in your system. It can even destroy the entire OS and make the compromised computer useless. These are only a few examples, of course. A complete list of all the potential criminal activities that a threat like SoBig Virus may conduct is almost impossible to create since the hackers behind the infection can program it as per their needs.
For this reason, we highly recommend that you don’t waste time but remove the Trojan immediately in order to prevent any of the bad things that may happen to your computer if you think that SoBig Virus may have attacked your system.
Is SoBig virus danggerous?
The usage of various forms of camouflage permits Trojan threats such as SoBig Virus to reach many devices without being identified. Spam emails, malicious web ads, different sketchy and low-quality sites, pirated programs and games are some of the popular means of distribution for these threats. Of course, you can never have complete confidence that a particular ad or a program download hasn’t been infected, but still, the chances of landing a Trojan in the future can be greatly reduced by making sure you stick to reputed and safe web locations.
Sadly, the fraudulent developers of these viruses employ various methods and strategies to ensure that their harmful software enters as many computers as possible. Thus, if you would like to keep your computer protected, it is best to arm yourself with reliable security software and apply some basic online safety rules such as avoiding links and file attachments that have been added to spam messages, as well as random ads and pirated materials.
Leave a Comment