Url Tiny Ru
Url Tiny Ru is an unwanted computer app that hijacks browsers such as Chrome and Firefox and imposes unwanted changes in their settings. Url Tiny Ru will add a new search engine to the browser and replace the homepage in order to boost the traffic of certain sites.
Online promotion is the main purpose of the representatives of the browser hijacker category in general. These apps are created to enter users’ browsers, to take over them, and to use them as advertising tools. There are different tricks and tactics that such hijackers employ in order to popularize the content they are programmed to promote but in almost all cases the presence of such an app in the computer is considered unwanted and, in some instances, potentially dangerous.
One of the main symptoms that users notice once a hijacker gets installed in their browsers is the page redirects that start to take place automatically.
The UrlTiny.Ru Virus
If the UrlTiny.Ru virus, or another similar app, is in your computer, your browser will most likely start to get redirected to different sites you don’t want to visit without you having done anything to open said sites. This is the work of the UrlTiny.Ru virus that’s in your browser and it will not stop sending you to the sites that it is supposed to popularize as long as it remains on your computer.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Url Tiny Ru!
How to remove Url Tiny Ru
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Url Tiny Ru in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Url Tiny Ru from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Url Tiny Ru.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Url Tiny Ru.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Url Tiny Ru from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Url Tiny Ru extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to Url Tiny Ru and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Url Tiny Ru on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Url Tiny Ru extension
- Get rid of Url Tiny Ru by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by “Url Tiny Ru” or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Url Tiny Ru
- Open task manager
- Look for the Url Tiny Ru process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Url Tiny Ru
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a “Url Tiny Ru” process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Url Tiny Ru
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Url Tiny Ru in there
- Uninstall Url Tiny Ru from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Url Tiny Ru-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Url Tiny Ru in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
What is Url Tiny Ru?
Common symptom is the replacement of the homepage and the search engine addresses. Those will get changed by the hijacker so that they can now be used to further promote a certain site or page on your screen. Every time you open a browser that has Url Tiny Ru in it, you’d be effectively creating traffic to the site that is now enforced as your browser’s homepage. Also, the new search engine that you haven’t approved yourself will probably give you irrelevant search results in its attempts to get you to visit some advertised online locations instead of directing you to the information that you are actually interested in.
One more particularly unpleasant symptom related to apps like Url Tiny Ru, Lookaside.fbsbx.com, iStart Search Bar is when they start to spam the screen with misleading and deceitful ads. Here, we must say that not all hijackers are known for showing such ads, but the ones that do could potentially expose your computer to serious dangers like Trojans and Ransomware because those ads may link you to sites that contain such threats.
How to deal with Url Tiny Ru?
The best solution when faced with an app like this one is to uninstall it right away. We understand that this might not be a very easy task and that is why we will provide those of our readers who need help with the removal of Url Tiny Ru a guide that will show you what needs to be done. Just remember to get this app removed as soon as possible so that you restore the regular settings of your browser and avoid the risk of getting targeted by Ransomware, Trojans, Spyware, or other viruses after interacting with misleading advertisements.
Leave a Comment