In this article we are going to show you how to Reset the Browser Settings of Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
The reason why might want to do this is quite trivial. Very often Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) or other malicious software like Adware, Browser Hijackers and the likes are going to make changes to your browser settings, add extensions, toolbars or a different search engine.
By resetting your browser settings you will also reset the unwanted changes caused by other programs.
Reset Chrome Settings
Resetting the browser settings in Google Chrome can help you solve some problems caused by third party software. By resetting the settings in Chrome you will not lose your saved passwords and bookmarks. You will however clear all cookies and site data as well as disable all extensions and themes.
1.Open Google Chrome and look at the upper right corner, there is a “bars” looking icon. Click on it.
2. Click on Settings.
3. In the next menu look at the bottom for Show Advanced Settings and press on it.
4. Again, scroll to the bottom and click on Reset Browser Settings.
5. In the newly opened window press the Reset button.
6. Restart Google Chrome so the changes can take effect.
Reset (Refresh) Firefox
The reset function in Mozilla Firefox is currently called “Refresh”. This feature essentially creates a new profile for you thus saving your important data. All your personal data and Firefox settings will be saved. Extensions, Add-ons and themes will be removed however. Plug-ins will also be disabled.
1. Start Mozilla Firefox. Look for the “bars” icon in the upper right corner and click on it.
2. In the subsequent window scroll to the bottom and click on the “question mark” icon.
3. This will open the “Help Menu”. Once there click on Troubleshooting Information.
4. In the Troubleshooting Information submenu look at the right side for the Refresh Firefox Move your cursor and click on it.
5. Again click on
6. Now the last you need to do is press
Reset Internet Explorer Settings
Resetting the Internet Explorer settings will revert the browser to its initial state. This might be helpful in the case of Adware or Browser Hijackers interfering with your settings and installing unwanted and potentially dangerous toolbars and extensions. Please keep in mind that this process in not reversible once completed. If you reset your browser you will lose all saved browsing history, home pages and tracking protection.
1. Open Internet Explorer. Then look for the “gears” icon in the upper right corner. Click on it.
2. You are now in the Tools Move your cursor to Internet Options and click.
3. In the new window look for Advanced in the upper right corner. Click.
4. In the newly opened window scroll down until you see the reset Press it.
5. Now in the new window you need to confirm your preference. You can click on Delete Personal Settings or not. For best results you should click on it and then press the Reset button.
6. Now click on close once you have the three green marks confirming the execution of your command.
Keep in mind that in some instances malware programs might find a way to reinstall themselves through other system processes. If that happens additional steps would be required and the whole process will become a lot more complicated. For best results in such cases we recommend the installation and usage of a professional anti-malware scanner.