Spectralviper malware is a computer virus that can cause harm to your system and virtual privacy in different ways. Experts categorize Spectralviper as a Trojan horse and warn that it typically shows no symptoms and can be distributed under the guise of harmless-looking programs.
The Trojan horse malware category has been around for quite a lot of time and it has pretty much always been one of the most widespread forms of online threats. There are several things that make these infections so effective and popular among the hackers who use them.
For starters, viruses like Spectralviper tend to be versatile in their possible uses and, unlike other common kinds of malware such as Spyware and Ransomware, Trojans can be used for the completion of a wide variety of criminal activities inside the computers of their victims.
Since Spectralviper is a rather new threat and there isn’t a lot of data regarding the way it is used, we cannot tell you with a hundred percent certainty what this virus may do in your computer in case it gets there. One thing is for sure, however, and that is, if the virus is already in your system, you really shouldn’t procrastinate your attempts to remove it. There are all kinds of unpleasant and unforeseen consequences that can emerge as a result of the presence of this threat in your machine.
The Spectralviper Malware
We should mention here is that Trojans like the Spectralviper malware can also introduce other malware into the already infected systems. Ransomware is a common example of a virus class that often gets distributed via such Trojans. Therefore, if the Spectralviper malware is in your system, there’s a certain risk that there could be more malware on the computer that you don’t know about.
Removing the malware
Hopefully, if you correctly follow the instructions we have prepared, you should be able to get rid of the Spectralviper virus and of any other malware it may have loaded in your system. Just make sure to begin the process of removing the Trojan as soon as possible so that you don’t give the virus any more time to complete its agenda.
Please follow all the steps below in order to remove Spectralviper!
How to remove Spectralviper
- First, click the Start Menu on your Windows PC.
- Type Programs and Settings in the Start Menu, click the first item, and find Spectralviper in the programs list that would show up.
- Select Spectralviper from the list and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the steps in the removal wizard.
If you have a Mac virus, please use our How to remove Ads on Mac guide.
If you have an Android virus, please use our Android Malware Removal guide.
If you have an iPhone virus, please use our iPhone Virus Removal guide.
What we suggest you do first is, check the list of programs that are presently installed on the infected device and uninstall any rogue software that you find there:
- From the Start Menu, navigate to Control Panel ->>> Programs and Features ->>> Uninstall a Program.
- Next, carefully search for unfamiliar programs or programs that have been installed recently and could be related to Spectralviper.
- If you find any of the programs suspicious then uninstall them if they turn out to be linked to Spectralviper.
- If a notification appears on your screen when you try to uninstall a specific questionable program prompting you to just alter it or repair it, make sure you choose NO and complete the steps from the removal wizard.
Remove Spectralviper from Chrome
- Click on the three dots in the right upper corner
- Go to more tools
- Now select extensions
- Remove the Spectralviper extension
- Once you open Chrome, click on the three-dots icon to open the browser’s menu, go to More Tools/ More Options, and then to Extensions.
- Again, find the items on that page that could be linked to the malware and/or that might be causing problems in the browser and delete them.
- Afterwards, go to this folder: Computer > C: > Users > *Your User Account* > App Data > Local > Google > Chrome > User Data. In there, you will find a folder named Default – you should change its name to Backup Default and restart the PC.
- Note that the App Data folder is normally hidden so you’d have to first make the hidden files and folders on your PC visible before you can access it.
How to get rid of Spectralviper on FF/Edge/etc.
- Open the browser and select the menu icon.
- From the menu, click on the Add-ons button.
- Look for the Spectralviper extension
- Get rid of Spectralviper by removing it from extensions
If using Firefox:
- Open Firefox
- Select the three parallel lines menu and go to Add-ons.
- Find the unwanted add-on and delete it from the browser – if there is more than one unwanted extension, remove all of them.
- Go to the browser menu again, select Options, and then click on Home from the sidebar to the left.
- Check the current addresses for the browser’s homepage and new-tab page and change them if they are currently set to address(es) you don’t know or trust.
If using MS Edge/IE:
- Start Edge
- Select the browser menu and go to Extensions.
- Find and uninstall any Edge extensions that look undesirable and unwanted.
- Select Settings from the browser menu and click on Appearance.
- Check the new-tab page address of the browser and if it has been modified by the malicious program or another unwanted app, change it to an address that you’d want to be the browser’s new-tab page.
How to Delete Spectralviper
- Open task manager
- Look for the Spectralviper process
- Select it and click on End task
- Open the file location to delete Spectralviper
- Access the Task Manager by pressing together the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys and then selecting Task Manager.
- Open Processes and there try to find a process with the name of the unwanted software. If you find it, select it with the right button of the mouse and click on the Open File Location option.
- If you don’t see a malicious process in the Task Manager, look for another suspicious process with an unusual name. It is likely that the unwanted process would be using lots of RAM and CPU so pay attention to the number of resources each process is using.
- Tip: If you think you have singled out the unwanted process but are not sure, it’s always a good idea to search for information about it on the Internet – this should give you a general idea if the process is a legitimate one from a regular program or from your OS or if it is indeed likely linked to the adware.
- If you find another suspicious process, open its File Location too.
- Once in the File Location folder for the suspicious process, start testing all of the files that are stored there by dragging them to our free online scanner available below.
- Each file will be scanned with up to 64 antivirus programs to ensure maximum accuracyThis scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users.This file is not matched with any known malware in the database. You can either do a full real-time scan of the file or skip it to upload a new file. Doing a full scan with 64 antivirus programs can take up to 3-4 minutes per file.Drag and Drop File Here To ScanAnalyzing 0 s
- If the scanner finds malware in any of the files, return to the Processes tab in the Task Manager, select the suspected process, and then select the End Process option to quit it.
- Go back to the folder where the files of that process are located and delete all of the files that you are allowed to delete. If all files get deleted normally, exit the folder and delete that folder too. If one or more of the files showed an error message when you tried to delete them, leave them for now and return to try to delete them again once you’ve completed the rest of the guide.
How to Uninstall Spectralviper
- Click on the home button
- Search for Startup Apps
- Look for Spectralviper in there
- Uninstall Spectralviper from Startup Apps by turning it off
- Now you need to carefully search for and uninstall any Spectralviper-related entries from the Registry. The easiest way to do this is to open the Registry Editor app (type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter) and then open a Find dialog (CTRL+F key combination) where you have to type the name of the threat.
- Perform a search by clicking on the Find Next button and delete any detected results. Do this as many times as needed until no more results are found.
- After that, to ensure that there are no remaining entries lined to Spectralviper in the Registry, go manually to the following directories and delete them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Random Directory.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Main/Random
What is Spectralviper?
Even though we cannot tell you the exact end goal (or goals) of the Spectralviper Trojan, we can list some of the common ways other similar viruses have been used in the past so that you know what kind of threat you have on your hands.
One common thing Trojan horse infections are capable of doing is spying on their victims’ actions and obtaining sensitive data. A lot of Trojans are used to acquire some form of personal information about their victims in order to then use it for blackmailing, harassment, banking theft, fraud, and more. What makes Trojans like Spectralviper particularly good for this task is their ability to stay under the radar of even the most experienced and vigilant users.
Is Spectralviper dangerous?
Infections similar to Spectralviper and Dispout are able to do is trick the user into giving Admin rights on the attacked machine, after which they start to launch different processes that usually only the user should be able to start. This basically gives the Trojan and, by extension, the hackers behind it, nearly unlimited control over the computer. Machines infected by such Trojans are commonly tasked with spreading spam to other computers, taking part in massive Denial of Service Attacks, and mining cryptocurrency for the hackers.