Chill Tab (Tab.chill–tab.com) is a questionable application that’s supposed to enhance your browsing experience. However, it is known to modify browser settings and gather private information. This makes Chill Tab a potentially unwanted program and a browser hijacker.
In the following article, we will be discussing the category of the programs known as browser hijackers generally, and their particular member Chill Tab. Nevertheless, do not overreact, at least not until you have read the passages below as basically, this kind of software is harmless and might only bother you a lot by altering your browser apps. Right after any browser hijacker has infected your computer, your Chrome/ Firefox/ Safari and all other browser apps may put new homepages and search engines; and/or could possibly launch some redirecting to many unknown websites. What’s more, such programs might begin displaying a considerable number of online ads (like banners, boxes and pop-ups). You are going to read more about the potential effects of this pretty irritating software family in the next paragraphs.
What is Chill Tab?
What you should really be aware of when it comes to the software category of browser hijackers is that, no browser hijacker has ever been described as a malicious piece of software. All of them lack considerable harmful effects. Still, such statements need some more concrete proof to back them up, so we are going to show you the differences between the Chill Tab “Virus”, for instance, and any serious virus such as a Trojan, or Ransomware to make it completely clear why hijackers are not real viruses.
To begin with, the way viruses normally get installed into your device differs considerably from the way hijackers do that:
- How do hijackers get distributed? Typically, this may happen via the process of improperly installing any software bundle. These are the sets, full of free programs available on the Internet. Bear in mind that even in case you really download such free software combos, the hijacker inside them still needs your (indirect) permission to get installed into your PC. This is the main reason why some programmers may try to deceive you into letting the entire content of the bundle get installed on your computer.
This might take place by installing the whole bundle through the incorrect installation mode. Normally – the Default or the Recommended ones. Really, you could still install and benefit from whatever you want from any existing free bundle without catching a hijacker. All you have to do is install the bundle in a proper way. The “good” feature you need to select in such a case is called Advanced (or Custom/ or rarely Manual).
- How are Trojans and Ransomware distributed – in contrast? These popular malware programs can get incorporated into your device without your knowledge or permission. In fact, they do not need even an unknowing act of approval; they can just automatically infiltrate your computer.
Another substantial difference comes from the ways viruses and hijackers usually affect your devices:
- What should we expect from a hijacker like Chill Tab? Besides the characteristic features of any browser hijacker that we have already discussed above, the Chill Tab “Virus” could also slow down your PC by producing too many pop-ups; or by authorizing too intense redirections. Nonetheless, these are the most suspicious or annoying ways any hijacker could ever behave in. Nothing really harmful may ever result from the activities of a harmless program like this.
- What can we expect from any Trojans or Ransomware? On the contrary, Trojans and Ransomwares are definitely able to damage your PC and harm you personally. First of all, the infection with such malware represents the most widely-spread malware infection type in general on a global scale. Such malicious programs can and tend to steal some very private data (banking or account details) in the case of Trojans. Moreover, if the virus you have got is Ransomware, you must expect data encryption and some rather frightening demands for a ransom payment.
Can we say that hijackers generally, and Chill Tab in particular, represent legal software?
In spite of being considered potentially unwanted, Chill Tab and the programs from its software family are indeed legal and have been created for the needs of the online marketing industry. Their consequences are simply advertisement-oriented, even though a little irritating or intrusive.
We are lucky enough to say that we have already come up with an effective way of dealing with this hijacker and have summarized it here, in our Removal Guide. Follow the steps in it carefully and as described, and the instructions there will work in your best interest.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a possible risk)|
|Symptoms||Changes of the browsers installed on the affected PC in terms of ads being produced, redirection being caused and some probable changes of the default homepages/ search engines.|
|Distribution Method||The so-called bundles are the standard source. However, such a program could be found inside spam, ads on the web, various platforms, and web pages.|
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading ComboCleaner to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
How to Remove Chill Tab
If you are looking for a quick way to remove Chill Tab from Mac, you can try this:
- Go to “Preferences” in Safari (or another Mac browser).
- Check the Homepage tab. Make sure that your homepage is the one you want.
- Go to the Extensions tab.
- Look for the Chill Tab extension as well as any other suspicious entries.
- Uninstall the Chill Tab extension and any other unfamiliar ones.
The first thing you need to do is to Quit Safari (if it is opened). If you have trouble closing it normally, you may need to Force Quit Safari:
You can choose the Apple menu and click on Force Quit.
Alternatively you can simultaneously press ⌘ (the Command key situated next to the space bar), Option (the key right next to it) and Escape (the key located at the upper left corner of your keyboard).
If you have done it right a dialog box titled Force Quit Applications will open up.
In this new dialog window select Safari, then press the Force Quit button, then confirm with Force Quit again.
Close the dialog box/window.
WARNING! READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING!
Once there, look at all the processes: if you believe any of them are hijacking your results, or are part of the problem, highlight the process with your mouse, then click the “i” button at the top. This will open up the following box:
Now click on Sample at the bottom:
Do this for all processes you believe are part of the threat, and run any suspicious files in our online virus scanner, then delete the malicious files:
The next step is to safely launch Safari again. Press and hold the Shift key while relaunching Safari. This will prevent Safari’s previously opened pages from loading again. Once Safari is opened up, you can release the Shift key.
On the off chance that you are still having trouble with scripts interrupting the closing of unwanted pages in Safari, you may need to take some additional measures.
First, Force Quit Safari again.
Now if you are using a Wi-Fi connection turn it off by selecting Wi-Fi off in you Mac’s Menu. If you are using a cable internet (Ethernet connection), disconnect the Ethernet cable.
Re-Launch Safari but don’t forget to press and hold the Shift button while doing it, so no previous pages can be opened up. Now, Click on Preferences in the Safari menu,
and then again on the Extensions tab,
Select and Uninstall any extensions that you don’t recognize by clicking on the Uninstall button. If you are not sure and don’t want to take any risks you can safely uninstall all extensions, none are required for normal system operation.
The threat has likely infected all of your browsers. The instructions below need to be applied for all browsers you are using.
Again select Preferences in the Safari Menu, but this time click on the Privacy tab,
Now click on Remove All Website Data, confirm with Remove Now. Keep in mind that after you do this all stored website data will be deleted. You will need to sign-in again for all websites that require any form of authentication.
Still in the Preferences menu, hit the General tab
Check if your Homepage is the one you have selected, if not change it to whatever you prefer.
Select the History menu this time, and click on Clear History. This way you will prevent accidentally opening a problematic web page again.
How to Remove Chill Tab From Firefox in OSX:
Open Firefox, click on (top right) ——-> Add-ons. Hit Extensions next.
The problem should be lurking somewhere around here – Remove it. Then Refresh Your Firefox Settings.
How to Remove Chill Tab From Chrome in OSX:
Start Chrome, click —–>More Tools —–> Extensions. There, find the malware and select .
Click again, and proceed to Settings —> Search, the fourth tab, select Manage Search Engines. Delete everything but the search engines you normally use. After that Reset Your Chrome Settings.
If the guide doesn’t help, download the anti-virus program we recommended or try our free online virus scanner. Also, you can always ask us in the comments for help!