This page aims to help you remove Comumx.site. These Comumx.site removal instructions work for Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, as well as every version of Android and Windows.
The article below will show you how to recognize the specific features of the browser hijacker, named Comumx.site, and how to safely deal with it. What’s more, we have included valuable information about hijackers in general – how and why they might modify all your browsers (Explorer, Chrome, Firefox); their expected activities if installed on your PC (redirecting, pop-up ad broadcasting; and homepage and search engine alterations); as well as a detailed guide that will help you uninstall this particular annoying program – Comumx.site.
Specific features of any browser hijacker
Hijackers comprise one of the most commonly spread software groups. Fortunately, they cannot be characterized as malware and cannot really harm your PC and you personally. Below we have included some detailed information about that. Actually, their nature is particularly marketing-oriented. It could be concluded that they represent simple tools for advertising products, software, new homepages and search engines, as well as web pages, online. In this sense of the word, we can say that their activities are completely legal and equal the advertising campaigns conducted on the TV or on the radio. Comumx.site is exactly such an example – many promoting processes could be expected from it, but no dangerous ones.
How is Comumx.site different from a virus?
Luckily, browser hijackers greatly differ from the most common versions of malware – Trojans and Ransomware, and we can prove that by comparing Comumx.site and one version from each of these viruses, so that you can clearly see the great differences among them.
What makes Comumx.site different from a Trojan? If we compare an exemplary Trojan horse virus to this specific hijacker, we will see that:
- While the Trojan is capable of affecting your system in many aspects: it could destroy/ corrupt and modify files; it may cause an entire system crash; it may enable hackers to watch you 24/7;
the browser hijacker only infects your browsers and may cause some slight changes to them (all of them have already been mentioned).
What is the difference between a version of Ransomware and Comumx.site? If we draw a comparison between a hijacker like Comumx.site and a typical Ransomware-based virus, we will notice that:
- While the Ransomware version can and DOES invade your computer on its own and then encrypts data of great importance, the hijacker can never become a part of your system if you do not willingly or unknowingly authorize it to do so.
In the next paragraph you will see how a hijacker may trick you into letting it in your system.
Ways of spreading Comumx.site
- Torrents and shareware – sometimes developers incorporate hijackers and other ad-distributing programs like Adware in shareware and torrents;
- Some webpages – all kinds of websites could be hijacker sources. However, browser hijackers are most likely to be lurking inside torrent and movie/video-streaming websites;
- Program bundles – this potential sources is to be blamed for more than 80% of all ad-producing software related infections. Very often programmers mix various games and apps with Adware and browser hijackers and offers the result of the mixing – the so-called bundles, to the public for free. Nevertheless, hijackers are NOT capable of invading your computer by themselves and you are the one who should allow them to be installed. Below we will advise you how to avoid such tricks.
How to install a bundle without catching the added ad-spreading programs inside it?
The tips we are going to share with you are universal. It is essential that you follow them no matter what kind of software you are installing. They will certainly be useful.
- First of all, download such free bundles from malware-free web pages to avoid a virus infection.
- When you download and open a given bundle, pay attention to the installation features that it offers.
- There should be two or three options.
- From the list of the features that you see, find the Custom/ Customized one (in some wizards it could be named “Advanced”). ALWAYS select it.
- If you are wondering why you should try to go with it all the time, the answer is that such an option lets you take over the installation process. This means that you will be able to choose or exclude specific programs, apps and program features that you don’t want on your PC.
- What’s more, you should always try to avoid the Default; the Recommended or the Automatic installation option. By selecting them, you are very likely to become a victim of a hijacker. Actually, that’s how most of the ad-related infections occur – because of these installation features.
The successful way to get rid of Comumx.site
There could be countless guides you can use to remove this hijacker program. However, we recommend the one after this article for a complete and safe removal process.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||Annoying alteration of all your browsers: their search engines could be replaced; some pop-ups may start appearing; some redirecting may happen at times. Possible slowdown of the entire computer.|
|Distribution Method||Inside program bundles; torrent and video-sharing websites; other contagious ads; other contaminated web pages.|
|Detection Tool||We generally recommend SpyHunter or a similar anti-malware program that is updated daily.|
Remove Comumx.site from Windows
Some of the steps will likely require you to exit the page. Bookmark it for later reference.
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
WARNING! READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING!
We get asked this a lot, so we are putting it here: Removing parasite manually may take hours and damage your system in the process. If you want a fast safe solution, we recommend SpyHunter.
We get asked this a lot, so we are putting it here: Removing parasite manually may take hours and damage your system in the process. If you want a fast safe solution, we recommend SpyHunter.>> Click to Download Spyhunter. If you don't want this software, continue with the guide below.
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC at the same time and go to the Processes Tab (the “Details” Tab on Win 8 and 10). Try to determine which processes are dangerous.
Right click on each of them and select Open File Location. Then scan the files with our free online virus scanner:
This scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users. You can find its full-page version at: https://howtoremove.guide/online-virus-scanner/
After you open their folder, end the processes that are infected, then delete their folders.
Note: If you are sure something is part of the infection – delete it, even if the scanner doesn’t flag it. No anti-virus program can detect all infections.
Hold together the Start Key and R. Type appwiz.cpl –> OK.
You are now in the Control Panel. Look for suspicious entries. Uninstall it/them.
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer or otherwise look suspicious.
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
A new file will open. If you are hacked, there will be a bunch of other IPs connected to you at the bottom. Look at the image below:
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
Open the start menu and search for Network Connections (On Windows 10 you just write it after clicking the Windows button), press enter.
- Right-click on the Network Adapter you are using —> Properties —> Internet Protocol Version 4 (ICP/IP), click Properties.
- The DNS line should be set to Obtain DNS server automatically. If it is not, set it yourself.
- Click on Advanced —> the DNS tab. Remove everything here (if there is something) —> OK.
- After you complete this step, the threat will be gone from your browsers. Finish the next step as well or it may reappear on a system reboot.
Right click on the browser’s shortcut —> Properties.
NOTE: We are showing Google Chrome, but you can do this for Firefox and IE (or Edge).
Properties —–> Shortcut. In Target, remove everything after .exe.
Remove Comumx.site from Internet Explorer:
Open IE, click —–> Manage Add-ons.
Find the threat —> Disable. Go to —–> Internet Options —> change the URL to whatever you use (if hijacked) —> Apply.
Remove Comumx.site from Firefox:
Open Firefox, click ——-> Add-ons —-> Extensions.
Find the adware/malware —> Remove.
Remove Comumx.site from Chrome:
Close Chrome. Navigate to:
C:/Users/!!!!USER NAME!!!!/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data. There is a Folder called “Default” inside:
Rename it to Backup Default. Restart Chrome.
To remove parasite, you may have to meddle with system files and registries. Making a mistake and deleting the wrong thing may damage your system.
Avoid this by using SpyHunter - a professional Parasite removal tool.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter.
Inside, press CTRL and F together and type the threat’s Name. Right click and delete any entries you find with a similar name. If they don’t show up this way, go manually to these directories and delete/uninstall them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. It could be any one of them – ask us if you can’t discern which ones are malicious.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
If the guide didn’t help you, download the anti-virus program we recommended or ask us in the comments for guidance!
Remove Comumx.site from Android Phones
Whether you use the default “Internet” App for browsing or a different browser like Chrome you need to go to:
Locate the Browser/App in question and tap on it.
Now the method is effectively the same for users using both “Internet” and Chrome/Other Browsers, yet for more clarity we have provided instructions for both:
For “Internet” Browser Users:
Tap the Force Stop button.
Now tap the Clear Data and Clear Cache Buttons.
For Google Chrome Users:
Click on Force Stop.
Then click on Clear Data and Clear Cache.
Restart your Browser. It might be a good idea to Reboot your Android device, just in case.
If you are still seeing Ads in your browser, it is likely they are generated by the websites you visit and there is nothing you can do about it.
However, if you are seeing Adverts outside of your internet browser, then one of your installed Apps contains the problematic Adware. In this case you need to take a look at this guide.
Did we help you? Please, consider helping us by spreading the word!