Ransomware such as Crypt0l0cker represents harmful software, famous for some encoding activities – either of your device screen, desktop or the files stored on it. Although the specific Ransomwares you may face could be targeting different components of your system, they have some traits in common.
In this article we are going to review the software category of the Ransomware viruses. For your information, these programs are in fact among the most horrible cyber threats that you are likely to come to face nowadays. Such viruses will sneak into your system, research all its drives and disks and determine which of your files you tend to access on a regular basis. Consequently, all of the predefined data will end up encrypted. Later on, a ransom amount will be required from you in exchange of your locked up files. This extremely disturbing description also fits Crypt0l0cker – the topic of the current article.
General description of Ransomware
These programs infect your computer on their own, mostly automatically, meaning that once you come across some of their sources, they will subtly sneak into your PC and perform whatever they have been programmed to. Then, the normal course of events proceeds and a ransom amount is wanted from you in order to “free” your monitor/screen or data.
As Ransomware could be divided in several subtypes and not all of them affect the same system components, we are going to enlist the most common ones, so that you will have a clue about the possible infection you are facing:
- The Ransomware viruses, which attack the desktop of your computers: Such viruses only attack the desktops of your computers (or laptops). In fact, nothing can happen to your data, however, the virus will generate an entire-screen notification, which will make you incapable of accessing anything behind it. Typically, such a notification will comprise the ransom request plus some payment details.
- The Ransomware viruses, which affect mobile devices: These viruses only infect smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. Their way of acting is similar to the one of the desktop-blocking type, as they limit your access to the screen of your mobile device by displaying a ransom-demanding alert, which covers the entire display. This alert will let you know about the occurred infection, and will require demands some money in exchange for unlocking your screen.
- The most famous category: the file-encrypting Ransomware: Actually, this is the subtype Crypt0l0cker falls into and represents the most widely spread Ransomware category. What such a program will do is sneak into your system, determine which data is most valuable to you and encrypt the same data. After that you will be asked to pay an amount of money as ransom in exchange for decrypting your important files. Honestly, this is the most awful type of Ransomware, as some vital information could be affected and you may never be able to get it back.
Sources of Crypt0l0cker
If you are not aware of the potential Ransomware sources, we can say that a contamination could come from various places and content on the web. To illustrate this statement with examples, we are going to mention the most common ones:
- torrents and shareware may contain such a virus;
- Crypt0l0cker may also be included in some particular contaminated web pages (once you visit such a site, this malware may come as a drive-by download to your PC);
- This Ransomware could lurk inside a letter or any of its attachments inside your email. In such a case, it is usually distributed together with a Trojan, whose goal is to determine how your PC is most likely to be penetrated, and to sneak Crypt0l0cker inside it, exploiting a program or system vulnerability;
- The majority of all infections have actually happened because the victim user has clicked on a malicious online ad.
Possible working solutions in case of an ongoing contamination
Firstly, we suggest that you don’t pay the hackers as soon as they demand the ransom. To your disappointment, that will not guarantee you the decryption of your hijacked data. Second of all, it could be wise to consult a professional for some advice and assistance. Some experts may have some more experience dealing with such threats, and may really come in handy. Lastly but still importantly, you can always try to remove this virus with the help of a Removal Guide (check ours below).
|Detection Tool|| |
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
Crypt0l0cker Virus File Removal
You are dealing with a ransomware infection that can restore itself unless you remove its core files. We are sending you to another page with a removal guide that gets regularly updated. It covers in-depth instructions on how to:
1. Locate and scan malicious processes in your task manager.
2. Identify in your Control panel any programs installed with the malware, and how to remove them. Search Marquis is a high-profile hijacker that gets installed with a lot of malware.
3. How to decrypt and recover your encrypted files (if it is currently possible).
You can find the removal guide here.