This page aims to help you remove Dllhost.dat Virus. Our removal instructions work for every version of Windows. Dllhost.dat virus is a part of the massive Petya Ransomware attack.
In case that a virus called Dllhost.dat Virus has compromised your computer, we would strongly advise you to remove it as soon as possible. This virus is not just a virus, but a really harmful Trojan horse, which can execute all sorts of criminal tasks and even cause irreparable damage to your system. This article is entirely dedicated to how to safely delete all of the Dllhost.dat Virus traces from your PC and if you stay with us until the end, you will be able to safely eliminate them. We have prepared a special removal guide for that, so make sure you read the details that follow and complete the steps, shown below, for optimal results.
The nature of the Trojan horses
Trojan horse infections are probably the most dreadful online infections one could encounter. They are so variable in their nature, that they can practically be used for all sorts of criminal tasks, fraud, and theft. This ability of theirs makes them very popular among criminal circles and the crooks don’t hesitate to use them for all of their malicious intentions. Some of the most common harmful activities that threats like Dllhost.dat Virus can be kept responsible for include:
- System corruption – in most of the cases, the presence of a Trojan on the computer can cause various system issues, malfunction, destruction of OS files, deletion of Registry keys and general instability. As a result, the users may frequently experience Blue Screen of Death crashes, lags, various software and system errors, and shutdowns, which can make it impossible to use the infected computer normally.
- Data destruction – If a threat like Dllhost.dat Virus sneaks inside the system, it can secretly delete your files or replace them, do some modifications to your software and settings and make you lose all of the valuable stuff you keep on your hard drive.
Dllhost.dat Virus Removal
Some of the steps will likely require you to exit the page. Bookmark it for later reference.
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
WARNING! READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING!
We get asked this a lot, so we are putting it here: Removing parasite manually may take hours and damage your system in the process. If you want a fast safe solution, we recommend SpyHunter.
We get asked this a lot, so we are putting it here: Removing parasite manually may take hours and damage your system in the process. If you want a fast safe solution, we recommend SpyHunter.>> Click to Download Spyhunter. If you don't want this software, continue with the guide below.
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC at the same time and go to the Processes Tab. Try to determine which processes are dangerous.
Right click on each of them and select Open File Location. Then scan the files with our free online virus scanner:
This scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users. You can find its full-page version at: https://howtoremove.guide/online-virus-scanner/
After you open their folder, end the processes that are infected, then delete their folders.
Note: If you are sure something is part of the infection – delete it, even if the scanner doesn’t flag it. No anti-virus program can detect all infections.
Hold together the Start Key and R. Type appwiz.cpl –> OK.
You are now in the Control Panel. Look for suspicious entries. Uninstall it/them. If you see a screen like this when you click Uninstall, choose NO:
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer or otherwise look suspicious.
- Remember this step – if you have reason to believe a bigger threat (like ransomware) is on your PC, check everything here.
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
A new file will open. If you are hacked, there will be a bunch of other IPs connected to you at the bottom. Look at the image below:
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
To remove parasite, you may have to meddle with system files and registries. Making a mistake and deleting the wrong thing may damage your system.
Avoid this by using SpyHunter - a professional Parasite removal tool.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter.
Once inside, press CTRL and F together and type the virus’s Name. Right click and delete any entries you find with a similar name. If they don’t show up this way, go manually to these directories and delete/uninstall them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. It could be any one of them – ask us if you can’t discern which ones are malicious.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
If the guide didn’t help you, download the anti-virus program we recommended or ask us in the comments for guidance!
- Espionage – Sometimes, the hackers may use the Trojan infection to gain unauthorized access to your entire machine, mess with your mic and camera, track your online and offline activities, or secretly spy on you and your work or personal life. It is needless to say that such a compromise of your privacy can easily make you vulnerable to blackmail or some other type of fraud.
- Virus and Malware distribution – In most of the cases, threats like Dllhost.dat Virus act like back doors for other viruses and infections. Crypto-viruses like Ransomware commonly use the help of a Trojan horse to sneak inside the users’ system and encrypt their files for ransom. The same can happen with other nasty threats, that’s why it is strongly recommended to remove the Trojan infection before it contaminates you with something else.
- Credential-stealing – Methods like keylogging are commonly employed by the Trojans to steal our passwords, login credentials, sensitive information or credit and debit card details from the victims.
These are just some of the most common uses of Dllhost.dat Virus and the other similar infections, but you should know that, as long as the malware is running on your system, the hackers, who control it, can easily do whatever they want and mess with your computer as they please. That’s why, having the Trojan removed as soon as possible is the best you could do to prevent much more harmful consequences.
How to remove Dllhost.dat Virus and protect your system?
The late removal of the Dllhost.dat Virus infection may cause serious and irreversible damage of different kinds; that’s why detecting and stopping the Trojan on time is of utmost importance for the users’ safety. The problem is that this type of malware rarely shows any symptoms, which can indicate the contamination and in most of the cases, the users come to know about it only after some severe damage is already done. That’s why, we strongly advise our readers if they happen to notice some strange system behavior, such as sudden crashes, unusual RAM or CPU usage, or some frequent system errors, not to ignore them. These symptoms may not always be related to Trojan horse infection, but running a deep scan with your antivirus won’t harm. For optimal protection, make sure that your antivirus software is regularly updated to the latest virus definitions so that it can detect even the latest threats such as Dllhost.dat Virus. Also, be mindful when you interact with sketchy web content, spam emails, attachments and pop-ups messages, or some torrents and shady installers. These are frequently used by the hackers as transmitters of malicious infections and may hide a nasty “free gift” inside. That’s why we would advise you to be responsible when browsing the web and always stick to reputed and trusted content and software sources.
|Danger Level||High (Trojans are often used as a backdoor for Ransomware)|
|Symptoms||Sudden crashes, unusual RAM or CPU usage, or some frequent system errors.|
|Distribution Method||Sketchy web content, spam emails, attachments and pop-ups messages, or some torrents and shady installers.|
|Detection Tool||We generally recommend SpyHunter or a similar anti-malware program that is updated daily.|