This page aims to help you remove the Trotux “Virus”. These Trotux “Virus” removal instructions work for Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, as well as every version of Windows.
You have come across our article possibly because you have realized that your PC has been contaminated with Trotux “Virus”, which is a version of browser hijacker. At first you may have tolerated the behavior of that program, but the number of the shown ads has only been growing and disturbing you more and more.
We have written the paragraphs below especially for those who have been suffering from Trotux “Virus” and desperately want to remove it from their systems. To make the removal process an easier task, we have come up with a guide to assist you with the uninstallation. Thank you for choosing our article!
What you should know about browser hijackers
Generally, the name “browser hijacker” refers to the software products that are programmed to target users with plenty of ads. Many users might consider such an overwhelming number of pop-ups, banners and browser tabs not very easy to put up with.
How does a system get infected with ad-generating software?
- It is possible to get contaminated by browsing the web. There might be some infected websites containing tempting, colorful hyperlinks that may lead to browser hijacker-based programs;
- Another possible way of catching such an annoying program may be by downloading torrents or by opening emails from the your SPAM folder;
- Despite there being many more means of distributing browser hijacker, it most often gets spread within software bundles. If you have no idea what a software bundle represents, it is a set of bundled programs that is distributed for free. The creators of such free programs often include browser hijacker in the shareware bundles. This way they are able to earn some additional income for their businesses. When you download and install such a program from a bundle, the browser hijacker-like program that may be inside finds a way into your system, too.
However, you should always bear in mind that a browser hijacker cannot incorporate itself into your system. You are the one to be blamed, because you may habitually install new software in an improper way. It means that you cannot catch a browser hijacker, if you don’t allow it to enter your system by selecting the Easy/Automatic/Default/Quick feature of the given installation wizard.
Potential issues connected with browser hijacker
- In addition to the regularly popping up ads that may be disturbing your browsing activities, the Trotux “Virus” may be programmed to collect data about your most common and recent search requests. Such data could later be sold to 3rd parties, who may use it to promote their products and services or to renew the ads campaigns, by showing only the advertisements relevant to your tastes. ;
- Another possible threat may come from some particular ads that are programmed to redirect you to potentially dangerous webpages, containing even more dangerous content like Ransomware;
- browser hijacker might consume so much of your system resources, that your PC may become significantly slower;
- Sometimes, when you attempt to close one of the generated ads, it may simply lead to the opening of another and that may drive you mad.
Anyways, is browser hijacker really malicious?
Luckily, browser hijacker has no features similar to those of a virus. The browser hijacker-like products will never steal data, reproduce themselves, turn your machine into a bot, copy banking details or lock up any files, as viruses like ransomware would do, for example. browser hijacker is not programmed to harass or blackmail you. Don’t worry and calmly proceed with the uninstallation of this software.
What to expect from Trotux in particular
Just as any other typical browser hijacker-based program, Trotux also gets into your machine in a stealthy way, tracks your searches and tries to guess your preferences. It also works with the pay per click strategy to ensure that its developers make enough money out of the ads it generates. Also, it is not malware and can be removed.
For this purpose we have prepared the guide you will find at the end of this article. Its detailed removal steps will come in handy to you and help you resolve your issue with Trotux.
What about prevention in the future?
We believe that after you have been irritated by such rather intrusive ads once, you will be more careful from now on and follow our prevention tips.
We strongly recommend that you never download anything from sources that you don’t trust. Also, you should always have your Firewall, as well as your anti-malware tool enabled to prevent the possibly dangerous websites from loading anything on your system. And essentially – when you begin to install newly downloaded programs of any kind, for your system’s own good, always go with the Advanced/Custom feature of the wizard.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||A lot of irritating ads appear whenever you try to use your browser.|
|Distribution Method||Most probably in a software bundle mixed with a free program. Possibly via spam emails and torrents.|
|Detection Tool||We generally recommend SpyHunter or a similar anti-malware program that is updated daily.|
Trotux “Virus” Removal
Some of the steps will likely require you to exit the page. Bookmark it for later reference.
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
WARNING! READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING!
We get asked this a lot, so we are putting it here: Removing parasite manually may take hours and damage your system in the process. If you want a fast safe solution, we recommend SpyHunter.
We get asked this a lot, so we are putting it here: Removing parasite manually may take hours and damage your system in the process. If you want a fast safe solution, we recommend SpyHunter.>> Click to Download Spyhunter. If you don't want this software, continue with the guide below.
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC at the same time and go to the Processes Tab (the “Details” Tab on Win 8 and 10). Try to determine which processes are dangerous.
Right click on each of them and select Open File Location. Then scan the files with our free online virus scanner:
This scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users. You can find its full-page version at: https://howtoremove.guide/online-virus-scanner/
After you open their folder, end the processes that are infected, then delete their folders.
Note: If you are sure something is part of the infection – delete it, even if the scanner doesn’t flag it. No anti-virus program can detect all infections.
Hold together the Start Key and R. Type appwiz.cpl –> OK.
You are now in the Control Panel. Look for suspicious entries. Uninstall it/them.
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer or otherwise look suspicious.
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
A new file will open. If you are hacked, there will be a bunch of other IPs connected to you at the bottom. Look at the image below:
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
Open the start menu and search for Network Connections (On Windows 10 you just write it after clicking the Windows button), press enter.
- Right-click on the Network Adapter you are using —> Properties —> Internet Protocol Version 4 (ICP/IP), click Properties.
- The DNS line should be set to Obtain DNS server automatically. If it is not, set it yourself.
- Click on Advanced —> the DNS tab. Remove everything here (if there is something) —> OK.
- After you complete this step, the threat will be gone from your browsers. Finish the next step as well or it may reappear on a system reboot.
Right click on the browser’s shortcut —> Properties.
NOTE: We are showing Google Chrome, but you can do this for Firefox and IE (or Edge).
Properties —–> Shortcut. In Target, remove everything after .exe.
Remove Trotux from Internet Explorer:
Open IE, click —–> Manage Add-ons.
Find the threat —> Disable. Go to —–> Internet Options —> change the URL to whatever you use (if hijacked) —> Apply.
Remove Trotux from Firefox:
Open Firefox, click ——-> Add-ons —-> Extensions.
Find the adware/malware —> Remove.
Remove Trotux from Chrome:
Close Chrome. Navigate to:
C:/Users/!!!!USER NAME!!!!/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data. There is a Folder called “Default” inside:
Rename it to Backup Default. Restart Chrome.
To remove parasite, you may have to meddle with system files and registries. Making a mistake and deleting the wrong thing may damage your system.
Avoid this by using SpyHunter - a professional Parasite removal tool.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter.
Inside, press CTRL and F together and type the threat’s Name. Right click and delete any entries you find with a similar name. If they don’t show up this way, go manually to these directories and delete/uninstall them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. It could be any one of them – ask us if you can’t discern which ones are malicious.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
If the guide didn’t help you, download the anti-virus program we recommended or ask us in the comments for guidance!