In this article we are looking to help you remove the Mac Adware Cleaner “bogus” message that keeps popping-up on your screen.
There are a lot of software programs out there that are legit and legal but are regarded as unwanted due to different unpleasant features that they might posses. One such program is the so called Advanced Mac Cleaner. The problem with this piece of software is that it has the annoying tendency to display an intrusive pop-up while you are surfing the internet. The pop-up tells you to download a tool called Mac Adware Cleaner if you want to protect your computer from adware and malware or other unwanted and potentially harmful programs. However, the pop-up itself can be regarded as a form of adware. Many users have been complaining from this as it is both annoying and does not seem to go away no matter what they do. That is why, we created this article in which we will help our readers get rid of the program that generates the pop-up as well as teach them how to avoid any future encounters with such PUP’s (potentially unwanted programs).
Concerning Mac Adware Cleaner Pop-up
As we already mentioned, the most probable cause for the pop-up is a program you have probably installed on your Mac that is called Advanced Mac Cleaner. While its name might make you think that this is some kind of helpful and beneficial software tool, you should keep in mind that since you are using a Mac, you probably do not need a cleaner/system optimization tools. A general rule about Mac’s is that in most cases their operating system is enough to protect them from viruses and malware. Therefore, any form of protection tools that you might download on a Mac are oftentimes some form of bloatware that will not help improve your computer’s security in any given way. Instead, as is the current case, such obscure programs might actually cause certain unwanted effects, such as the intrusive pop-up that keeps on showing while you are online.
Do not click on the pop-up!
Some of you might think that clicking on the pop-up and downloading the promoted tool (Mac Adware Cleaner) is a good idea. Well, while it may make the unwanted pop-up disappear, there is nothing good about further filling your machine with unwanted programs that do not benefit you in any way. It is also possible that if you download Mac Adware Cleaner more pop-ups will start to appear. The only truly effective way to get rid of the intrusive online content is to uninstall its source – Advanced Mac Cleaner.
How to avoid similar problems in the future
If you want to prevent any similar intrusive online box messages and pop-ups in future, here are a couple of useful rules and guidelines to follow:
- Do not fall for similar sketchy adverts of system optimization tools. As we already said, Mac computers do not need such programs as their OS is secure enough already.
- Stay away from websites with shady appearances and do not download anything from sources that are unreliable.
- Always make sure to check the setup installers of any new software you want to install. Sometimes, there are applications bundled with the installer that get in your system along the main thing. This method is called file bundling and is commonly used for the distribution of all sorts of software. That way, you might have installed Advanced Mac Cleaner without even knowing it! Thus, we advise you to always look for any added programs and uncheck them if you think that they might turn out to be a PUP (sometimes, you might have to opt for the custom installation settings to see all added content).
Mac Adware Cleaner Removal
This short guide will help you quickly remove the cause for the intrusive online pop-up. Just follow the steps and it will be over in no time.
To remove parasite on your own, you may have to meddle with system files and registries. If you were to do this, you need to be extremely careful, because you may damage your system.
If you want to avoid the risk, we recommend downloading SpyHunter - a professional malware removal tool - to see whether it will find malicious programs on your PC.
Step 1: Removing the PUP
- Open Go and select Utilities.
- Go to Activity Monitor.
- In the list that gets displayed, find Advanced Mac Cleaner and select it.
- With the PUP selected, now click on the Quit Process button. You will be asked whether you are sure you want to do this – select Force Quit.
- Next, go back to the Go menu and this time open Applications.
- Again, find Advanced Mac Cleaner and right-click on it.
- Now, select Move to Trash
- After that, open the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
- Go to Accounts > Login Items.
- Find and select Advanced Mac Cleaner and then select the minus (-) button.
Step 2: Browsers
In order to ensure that any changes that the PUP might have made to your browser are gone, you’d need to reset it. Here’s how to do that:
- Open Safari.
- Go to the menu labeled Safari.
- Select Reset Safari.
- Tick all check-boxes.
- Select Reset.
If you are a Chrome or Firefox user, here’s how to reset them:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Select Customize and Control Google Chrome.
- Click on Options and go to the Under the Hood tab.
- Select Reset to Defaults.
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Select go to Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click on Reset Firefox.
Was this guide helpful? Please consider leaving us your feedback!