This page aims to help you remove Smartnewtab Virus. These Smartnewtab Virus removal instructions work for Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, as well as every version of Windows.
Important information. Read it.
Smartnewtab Virus is a computer program strongly resembling the behavior of the type of malicious software known as Browser Hijacker. In this article we will try to explain what an Browser Hijacker software really is and how you ended up with it in the first place, along with extensive removal instructions of course.
Smartnewtab Virus – how does it work?
As we said you will be dealing with Browser Hijacker. This type of viruses are characteristically going to put you through a lot of advertisements – pop-ups, pop-unders, banner or even whole pages filled with Ads (short for advertisements). You can also expect a heavy dose of browser redirects. What we mean by that? When you try to open a certain web address in addition to it or instead of it another websites opens up in a new tab or in a new windows. You should stay clear off of both the ads and the websites you have been redirected to as any interaction with them increases greatly the chance that more malware is headed your way.
Smartnewtab Virus – how were you infected?
Malware spreading is an advanced practice and over time a plethora of different approaches have been developed and tried. We will list the most popular ones along with some tips on how to avoid them.
- Any time you receive a new e-mail in your inbox with an attachment in it you should be wary. Even if it is from a supposedly legitimate sender, maybe even a well-known company or your gas/phone/electricity provider. You should always check the files before downloading them (most mail clients have built-in scanners) and once again before actually opening them.
- If you are downloading from web-sharing websites or you are a fan of p2p (torrents) then you should be always careful what files are actually being downloaded onto your computer. If possible check the trust-level of the uploader first, although that is far from being a reliable barometer, and always scan the files before opening them. Especially in the case of .exe files, you just don’t know if that is not a malicious application disguised as something else.
- Software bundles. The most likely scenario in which you ended up with Smartnewtab Virus. In other words the inclusion of additional programs inside the installer of a program or any type of software actually, that you decided to install. Mostly the program would be a free one and the only way for you to prevent this if you select advanced installation options and carefully review and untick anything that might be different from your initial selection.
Before starting with Step 1 of our removal guide take the time to read this as it will spare you some questions that might pop-up during the removal process. The important thing to understand and remember is there are different “versions” of Smartnewtab Virus floating around the web space. There are different reasons for this, though it is mainly to make it harder for removal guides and blogs to prepare a universal removal solution. It is true that our task has been made especially hard as a result but we have done our best to comply complete and extensive removal instructions. You may find some parts to be redundant or completely irrelevant to your particular problem, if that is indeed the case do not be immediately alarmed by skip these parts and continue with the rest. If you have questions or tips, use the comments section. We are always open to feedback from our readers.
|Symptoms||Pop-up Ads, Browser redirects, slowed down performance.|
|Distribution Method||E-mails, torrents, file sharing websites, software bundles.
|Detection Tool||parasite may be difficult to track down. Use SpyHunter - a professional parasite scanner - to make sure you find all files related to the infection.|
Remove SmartNewTab Virus
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
This was the first preparation.
To remove parasite, you may have to meddle with system files and registries. Making a mistake and deleting the wrong thing may damage your system.
Avoid this by using SpyHunter - a professional Parasite removal tool.
- Do not skip this – Smartnewtab Virus may have hidden some of its files.
Hold together the Start Key and R. Type appwiz.cpl –> OK.
You are now in the Control Panel. Look for suspicious entries. Uninstall it/them. If you see a screen like this when you click Uninstall, choose NO:
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer.
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
A new file will open. If you are hacked, there will be a bunch of other IPs connected to you at the bottom. Look at the image below:
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
Right click on the browser’s shortcut —> Properties.
NOTE: We are showing Google Chrome, but you can do this for Firefox and IE (or Edge).
Properties —–> Shortcut. In Target, remove everything after .exe.
Remove the Malware from Internet Explorer:
Open IE, click —–> Manage Add-ons.
Find the malware —> Disable. Go to —–> Internet Options —> change the URL to whatever you use (if hijacked) —> Apply.
Remove Smartnewtab Virus from Firefox:
Open Firefox, click ——-> Add-ons —-> Extensions.
Find the Browser Hijacker/malware —> Remove.
Remove Smartnewtab Virus from Chrome:
Close Chrome. Navigate to:
C:/Users/!!!!USER NAME!!!!/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data. There is a Folder called “Default” inside:
Rename it to Backup Default. Restart Chrome.
- At this point the malware is gone from Chrome, but complete the entire guide or it may reappear on a system reboot.
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC simultaneously. Go to the Processes Tab. Try to determine which ones are a virus. Google them or ask us in the comments.
A BIG WARNING! READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING!
This is the most important and difficult part. If you delete the wrong file, it may damage your system irreversibly. If you can not do this,
>> Download SpyHunter - a professional parasite scanner and remover.
Right click on each of the virus processes separately and select Open File Location. End the process after you open the folder. Just to make sure we don’t delete any programs you mistakenly took for a virus, copy the folders somewhere, then delete the directories you were sent to.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter.
Inside, press CTRL and F together and type the virus’s Name. Right click and delete any entries you find with a similar name. If they don’t show this way, go manually to these directories and delete/uninstall them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. It could be any one of them – ask us if you can’t discern which ones are malicious.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
Remember to leave us a comment if you run into any trouble!