This page will inform you how to remove Shortcut Virus from your PC, a virus that recently started spreading like a wildfire among Windows users. We aim to show you how to use the Shortcut Virus remover for USB, Pen Drives (PenDrives), SD cards and external HDDs removal. Many users are sending inquiries like “cara menghilangkan virus shortcut” and “cara menghapus virus shortcut” which shows that this is a problem not limited to the English speaking world.
This Shorcut virus is capable of attacking all types of USB devices – pen drives, flash drives and SD cards. Whenever a healthy drive is slotted into a computer infected by this virus, an invisible subroutine will be ran upon it. Essentially all the data inside the drive is moved to a hidden folder that is not accessible unless you use a Shortcut Virus remover first. The data is not lost – it is merely hidden and we’ll show you how to recover it, as well as how to get rid of the virus itself. The only thing visible on the drive is a shortcut file that apparently leads to the drive itself. This is a trap! This shows just how much a question like “cara menghilangkan virus shortcut” is relevant.
DO NOT try to open this virus created shortcut!
This is the crux of the trap. Even if you try to open it you will find that your data is NOT located inside – on the surface it looks like opening the shortcut does absolutely nothing. In truth this is when the Trojan actually activates inside your computer – before you click on the shortcut it will be restricted to the USB drive only.
If the shortcut created by the Shortcut virus is opened from the computer the wurm/trojan will latch onto the computer as well and will immediately infect all other uninfected flash drives. In addition it will not function as a classical Trojan – it can be used as a backdoor into your computer’s defenses by the owner of the Shortcut virus. The hacker will not be able to install viruses and spyware into your computer at will and without your permission. If you have already tried to open the shortcut file then you also need to uninstall the virus – and fast.
How your USB device may have been infected with the Shortcut virus
- Your PC was originally infected and it spread to your USB device after you plugged it.
- Your USB device came into contact with another infected computer
If it was Case 1 then all other USB devices you have had plugged-in are likely infected too, so please take the necessary measures to remove Shortcut virus from them as well. The same applies if you already tried to open the shortcut file as the Trojan inside has now spread to your machine.
The Shortcut virus is a hidden threat that may lurk unnoticed in infected computers for a very long time. If you colleague’s computer was the source little can be done, but you should do your best to make your computer safe before worrying for potential problems from other computers. Viruses such as Shortcut virus are most often distributed via the following methods:
- Тhrough software bundles. These are installers for software that include more then one program for installation inside of them. Whenever the Default installation option is picked all included programs will get inside your PC. That’s generally a bad idea – the extra problems are seldom useful and the chance of getting a virus, an Adware or some other type of malicious application is quite high. We recommend to all of our reads to use the Advanced installation option whenever able. It allows you to block any unwanted extra programs from installing
- Hidden in infected executable files. Most often these are obtained from torrents or free online storage sites. This method relies on the fact that there is no control over the quality of such files. They will pretend to be some different software, but what’s really inside is the virus.
- Another tricks associated with unsafe online sites is the Ads. On certain sites you may see multiple download buttons – in fact if there is a working one it will be only one of them (or none!). All the fakes will download a file named in the same way as the file you search for. Hidden inside is, of course, the virus.
- Through an Ad created by an Adware. If you are seeing a large increase of Ads displayed on most pages you visit then it’s likely your computer has been infected with some type of Ad-based virus. These are not very dangerous except for when they install things like the Shortcut virus on the affected computer.
If you have to occasionally plug USB devices into computers that you suspect are not safe we recommend that you keep a backup of all the data stored on such a drive someplace safe. Also use an anti-virus or anti-malware program to scan such a drive if it has been connected to a computer you suspect was infected.
Note that locating this virus on your own is like finding a needle in a haystack. In addition if your PC has already been infected by the Trojan there is a very good chance that it has one or more additional viruses installed by the Trojan itself. You do not need the Shortcut Virus remover to get rid of them – the rest of the guide should help you by itself.
However, without knowing what these viruses are we cannot deal with them. Our detailed method will deal with all hidden files on the USB drives and restore your data. It is your own responsibility to make sure there are no leftover viruses after. Use an anti-virus or anti-malware scan tool for this task. If you have no such program installed on your machine (or you suspect it doesn’t work – your PC was infected after all) check out our recommendation.
Also please remember that a Format will clean the virus from your drive should all else fail. Use this as a last resort, because it will wipe your data as well as the virus! Now it’s time to indulge our readers and show you “cara menghilangkan virus shortcut”.
Shortcut Virus Remover
You are dealing with a malware infection that can restore itself unless you remove its core files. We are sending you to another page with a removal guide that gets regularly updated. It covers in-depth instructions on how to:
1. Locate and scan malicious processes in your task manager.
2. Identify in your Control panel any programs installed with the malware, and how to remove them. Search Marquis is a high-profile hijacker that gets installed with a lot of malware.
3. How to clean up and reset your browser to its original settings without the malware returning.
You can find the removal guide here.