Mac Optimizer Uninstall Guide
If you are a Mac user, then you should probably be aware of the fact that Mac computers do not require any additional optimization or security software. This is why most programs that claim to provide such services for Apple computers are more often than not scams. In this article, we will be focusing on one particular such program called Mac Optimizer, which, instead of noticeably improving anything on your computer, can actually make matters worse. This is why it is important to get rid of this software as soon as possible. Here, we will provide you with all the information that you might need in order to deal with the nuisance and clean it off your machine.
What is Mac Optimizer?
On paper, Mac Optimizer is advertised as software that can improve various aspects of your computer, as well as provide you with a number of useful features. While this might not sound all that bad, things are quite different in reality. First of all, as we already said, if you are using Mac, then you don’t really need any form of optimization software. Secondly, if you are currently dealing with Mac Optimizer, then you most likely have only the free version (which is the one we are talking about in this article). You see, there’s a significant difference between the free version and the paid version of a program. In this case, if you have only the free product, the features and functions that it provides are heavily limited. All in all, what you really get is a free program that constantly nags you to buy the full product. This leads us to the third problem of Mac Optimizer – its obstructiveness and intrusiveness. In order to persuade the user to get the full program (and pay for it), Mac Optimizer might resort to displaying pop-ups on the user’s screen (even when the browser is not open), that report a number of viruses on the computer. This is, of course, nothing but a devious ruse used to making the user worried and tricking them into buying the full product, which is said to be able to remove the aforementioned viruses. In reality, it’s more than likely that there’s no actual infection or even if there is, the unwanted software is not actually detecting it.
Can it harm your Mac?
Even though Mac Optimizer might be rather problematic and annoying, it should not be able to cause any actual direct damage to your machine. Even though you might see people referring to it as a virus, there’s certainly a big difference between actual viruses the likes of Trojans and malware and unwanted programs such as Mac Optimizer. That being said, you should still probably be better off without it and removing it is the course of action that we advise you to take.
How to avoid such software in the future
If you are one of those users, who currently has the unwanted software on their PC, it is quite possible that you have installed it without even realizing it. This is because this type of freeware programs are commonly distributed and installed via some rather stealthy methods.
- You might have landed the nagging application by clicking on some sketchy online advert. This is how many people get their computers filled with all sorts of undesirable software. That is why, from now on, be extremely careful with what sites you visit and what you click on.
- Oftentimes applications that fall under the PUP (potentially unwanted programs) category are distributed with the help of different forms of spam (e-mails, Facebook/Skype messages and so on). That is why the next time you are about to click on a link that has been sent to you by a stranger or open an e-mail attachment, the contents of which are unknown to you, you should better give it a second thought.
- The third, and probably most effective PUP distribution method that we will be focusing on, is the so called file-bundling. Basically, a file bundle is when a piece of software is put inside the installer of another program. For example, Mac Optimizer might have been bundled with some other free piece of software (that you actually wanted to install). However, if you have used the Quick installation option and/or if you haven’t paid attention to the setup wizard (and what settings it contains), you have more than likely missed the opportunity to leave the unwanted application out of the installation. Therefore, each time you are about to install something new on your computer, be sure to take a second look at what you are actually installing. If there are any added/bundled programs, look them up and if you determine that they are unwanted, uncheck them before you launch the installation of the program that you actually want on your system.
Mac Optimizer “Virus” Uninstall
You are dealing with a malware infection that can restore itself unless you remove its core files. We are sending you to another page with a removal guide that gets regularly updated. It covers in-depth instructions on how to:
1. Locate and scan malicious processes in your task manager.
2. Identify in your Control panel any programs installed with the malware, and how to remove them. Search Marquis is a high-profile hijacker that gets installed with a lot of malware.
3. How to clean up and reset your browser to its original settings without the malware returning.
You can find the removal guide here.