Sneaky Trojan Horse malware is everywhere on the internet and you can never know when your PC is about to get attacked by it. Recently, a new virus of this type has been released under the name of Win.Trojan.Toa.
Many users have already fallen prey to this new and dangerous threat and the numbers of infected computers is steadily increasing. This is why we deemed it’s necessary for our readers to be properly informed and acquainted with what Win.Trojan.Toa is capable of, how it gets distributed and what symptoms can be expected in the case of an infection by it. That is what the following article is about. Additionally, a removal guide can be found down below the final paragraph in which we’ve shown several methods that can be used in order to eliminate the virus for those of you who already have it on their computers. We advise our readers to make full use of the guide without skipping any of the steps for maximum result. Also, it is a good idea to first read the article itself before you go to the removal manual so that you have a good idea of what you’re actually dealing with.
It is oftentimes difficult to detect a Trojan Horse, especially if your antivirus fails to spot the threat or if you do not have an antivirus at all. There are some typical symptoms of a malware infection but the problem with Trojans is that those symptoms are somewhat situational. In many instances, users that have had their computer infected did not encounter any indications suggesting that there is a virus. Therefore, keep in mind that even if your machine gets attacked by Win.Trojan.Toa, it is possible that none of the following symptoms are present.
- Reduced PC productivity is a common malware indication since oftentimes viruses require heavy usage of system resources such as RAM and CPU time which can lead to the typical slow-down. However, memory leakage or some heavy process of a legit program might be causing that too.
- Blue Screen (BSOD) crashes are another issue that is commonly associated with Trojan Horse infections. Similarly to the previous entry on this list, such crashes can be caused by a number of reasons that have nothing to do with malware but if you are often getting Blue screens, then there’s certainly something that needs to be fixed and a Trojan Horse is one of the possibilities.
- Obnoxious and intrusive online banners and pop-ups are yet another potential symptom of an infection with Win.Trojan.Toa. Generally, such obstructive online content is more closely related to Browser Hijackers/ Adware but it’s still a possible symptom of a Trojan Horse invasion.
- Generally, if anything on your PC’s system gets changed without your permission or if your machine starts to behave in a weird manner, it is very likely that this is caused by a Trojan virus. Therefore, if you notice anything that seems out of order, you should investigate and figure out what is causing it to occur.
Possible uses of Win.Trojan.Toa
A very important and problematic aspect of Trojans is that they are extremely versatile. They are like the Swiss-knife of malicious programs and malware and hackers always make sure to exploit that. The next short list of potential ways in which Win.Trojan.Toa can be used will give you a general idea of just how dangerous and harmful Trojan Horses can be.
- One quite common use of Trojan Horse malware is corruption and damage to important system files that are required for your machine to function normally. In many cases the damage done can be reverted but in some instances it is possible that your system would be so messed-up that your PC will be basically turned useless.
- Another very dangerous potential use of a Trojan virus is espionage. Different methods of spying can be employed and used to gather all sorts of personal and sensitive data about you which can later be used for all sorts of malicious purposes. Among the most commonly used spying methods are the key-stroke logging technique, monitoring of your PC screen and probably the scariest of the three – the utilization of your own personal webcam allowing the hacker to spy directly on you.
- Through the keystroke logging espionage method hackers can see everything you type on your keyboard and that way find out what the password and username for your online banking accounts are. This is how Trojans can also be used to steal money from you.
- Some Trojan Horses are capable of turning your machine into a bitcoins mining tool or into a spambot. That way hackers can send out spam messages or earn bitcoins at the expense of your PC’s system resources.
Ways to protect your computer
Usually, users get their PC’s infected by Win.Trojan.Toa or other forms of malware because they are not being careful enough. Therefore, from now on you must make sure to use the following tips in order to ensure the safety of your PC.
- Automatic downloading of files should not be allowed on any of your browser. If it is currently allowed, make sure to change that.
- Never open any new emails links that got send to you if you think that they look suspicious because they might be malicious spam containing malware.
- Do not open files that have unknown or shady origins. If you do not know where the file came from and you cannot verify that it is safe, you should probably delete it.
- Enhance your PC’s defenses by installing a professional antivirus program and keeping it updated at all times. Also, do not forget to frequently update your Windows as well.
- When browsing the internet, be careful with what sites you visit and what download sources you’re using – avoid the ones that look potentially harmful and illegal. Common sense is very important to keep your system safe!
Search Marquis is a high-profile hijacker – you might want to see if you’re not infected with it as well.