Lately, a lot of users have been complaining about a program called Epicunitscan.info “Malware”that invades their Firefox, Chrome or IE browser and fills it with all sorts of unwanted content such as sketchy toolbars, obscure new search engines while also changing the browser’s homepage and adding unwanted extensions to it. If a program does this, especially without the user’s permission, it is regarded as a Browser Hijacker.
Browser Hijackers are a specific type of programs that are known to obstruct users’ normal online experience by messing with their browsers, while also being difficult to remove. Here, you will learn how to deal with such nagging programs and how to keep them away from your PC for the days to come.
A lot of applications that fall under this category might appear useful and helpful at first. Some of them are marketed as software tools that will improve your internet security or PC performance. Unfortunately, this is almost never the case. Browser Hijackers are usually nothing but a way for their developers to earn money via online marketing. These intrusive programs come packed with a number of different features that allows their creators to generate significant amounts of income by exploiting the internet marketing industry. In some instances it is possible that the Hijacker might seem to provide the user with some form of helpful function but even then it would be for the sake of making the program more appealing so that more people would install it on their computers this increasing the overall profit for the Hijacker developers.
Is it a malware?
A lot of people refer to Browser Hijackers such as Epicunitscan.info as malware. It is debatable whether they fall under that category. This is because most programs of this kind, though annoying, are not dangerous for your PC. Also, a lot of Hijackers are actually legal programs. Malware refers to illegal software that can harm your system or execute some other form of illegal task. The infamous Ransomware and the dangerous Trojan horse viruses are actual forms of malware. On the other hand, Epicunitscan.info is pretty much harmless and usually cannot cause damage to your system or threaten your online security.
Sure, Hijackers are not noxious Ransomware but this does not mean that they should be allowed to remain on your PC any longer than they already have. In the beginning of this article we already mentioned some of the negative traits that most programs of this kind have. Here, we will list several more reasons why it’s best if you uninstall the nagging piece of programming ASAP.
- Apart from making changes to your browser, some Hijackers can monitor its history and searches. The information that is obtained through that can later be used to modify the adverts you see online so that they appear more attractive to you. The data can also be sold to third parties for profit purposes.
- We already mentioned the possibility of online ads coming from Hijackers. Unlike other online adverts, ones that are generated by those intrusive programs tend to show up on every page and tab you open and are incredibly obstructive and frustrating. The only way to fully stop them is to remove the Hijacker.
- While Epicunitscan.info might not cause any permanent damage to your system, it might cause your PC to run slower due to the increased amounts of RAM and CPU usage coming from the nagging application. In some cases, your browser or even your Windows Explorer might start to crash. Removing the Hijacker would make all of that go away. You can learn how to get rid of Epicunitscan.info down below the main part of the article in a detailed removal guide that we have prepared for you.
How do Hijackers get distributed?
In order to ensure that no more intrusive programs like Epicunitscan.info get installed on your machine, you need to have a good understanding of how these programs get spread throughout the internet. The next short list will summarize the most commonly employed techniques for Browser Hijacker distribution so that you’d know what to look out for and avoid:
- Junk mail – Spam is a favorite method for spreading all types of unwanted and oftentimes harmful programs. Hijackers are no exception to that rule. Always be careful when opening any new e-mails that seem suspicious or if somebody sends you a shady-looking link. In those cases, you’d best delete the message without interacting with it whatsoever.
- Sketchy sites – If you often tend to download torrents from unreliable or obscure sources, you might want to reconsider doing this in future. Many sites out there are distributors of unwanted software so you’d better make sure to stick only to ones that are trustworthy and reputable or you might end up landing all sorts of undesirable programs.
- File bundling – A file bundle is when a piece of software is bundled with the installer of some other program. Installing that other program usually installs the added software. To avoid this happening to you in future, always make sure to pay close attention to the details of the setup wizard. If you see any added software that seems like a potential Hijacker, you might want to uncheck it. If there is a custom installation option, make sure to choose that since this is often where the added content is hidden.
Epicunitscan.info “Malware” Removal
You are dealing with a malware infection that can restore itself unless you remove its core files. We are sending you to another page with a removal guide that gets regularly updated. It covers in-depth instructions on how to:
1. Locate and scan malicious processes in your task manager.
2. Identify in your Control panel any programs installed with the malware, and how to remove them. Search Marquis is a high-profile hijacker that gets installed with a lot of malware.
3. How to clean up and reset your browser to its original settings without the malware returning.
You can find the removal guide here.
For mobile devices refer to these guides instead: Android , iPhone