Search Marquis is a commonly-encountered browser hijacker for Mac devices that enters the browser unnoticed and introduces unwelcome changes to it. Search Marquis is known for adding a search engine of the same name to the browser and flooding the user’s screen with aggressive ads.
Search Marquis is not a virus in the sense that it doesn’t replicate inside the system and doesn’t try to damage it. However, the effects that this unwanted software has on the browser could lead to a variety of online privacy and security problems. On the surface, all Search Marquis does is it tampers with the browser’s settings, spams the user with ads, and triggers redirects to different promoted websites. However, what remains hidden is the ability of this browser hijacker to secretly collect data from your browser and distribute it to third-parties. Who those third-parties are is a mystery – such information is never disclosed by Search Marquis. Obviously, in most cases, the data from your browser would get distributed to other advertisers who seek to target you with personalized ads. However, there’s no guarantee that hackers and crooks won’t also get their hands on information extracted from your browser. For that reason, it is never advisable to keep unwanted browser-hijacking software such as Search Marquis on your Mac – not only could it automatically send your browser to obscure locations filled with ads but also it may end up collecting and selling data from your browser to anonymous third-parties with unknown intentions.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||A change in the browser’s homepage or the main search engine is a typical symptom of a Browser Hijacker.|
|Distribution Method||Software bundles, torrents, ads, freeware sites, shareware platforms, automatic installers.|
How to Get Rid of Search Marquis
- Open Activity Monitor from Applications/Utilities and find and quit the hijacker process.
- Go to Users & Groups > Login Items and delete hijacker items.
- Open the applications folder and uninstall unwanted apps.
- Access System Preferences > Profiles and remove profiles that haven’t been added by you.
Detailed how-to get rid of Search Marquis Instructions
- Select Finder from the top, go to Applications from the sidebar, open the Utilities folder, and then open the Activity Monitor.
- Look for processes that you think may be related to Search Marquis – ones that consume too much RAM and CPU and that have odd and unusual names that don’t seem familiar – and quit them by highlighting them and selecting the Stop/X button from the top-left.
- If you are in doubt, search for the process’ name on the Internet this should give you a good idea if that process is actually a legitimate one from your system or one that could potentially be linked to Search Marquis.
- If your online search confirms that the suspected process is not something essential to your system, go ahead and quit it.
- Open Finder and select Applications from the sidebar on the left.
- In the Applications folder, look for apps that have been recently added and that may be linked to the hijacker presence on your Mac and move them to the Trash to delete them.
- Select the Apple menu from the top-left (Apple icon), go to System Preferences > Users & Groups, and click on Login Items.
- Look through the list of login items and if any of them look like they are from the hijacker, select it and then click on the minus (-) button.
- From System Preferences, go to Profiles and look at the different profiles to the left – any profiles there that you don’t recognize must be removed by selecting the profile and clicking on the minus (-) button.
Search Marquis Removal from Mac
- Go to folders /Library/LaunchAgents, scan the most recent files with our scanner, and delete the malware ones.
- Open the ~/Library/LaunchAgents, and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders and do the same in them.
- Go to the ~/Library/Application Support and delete folders linked to Search Marquis.
Detailed Search Marquis Removal Instructions
- Press Command + Shift + G to open the Go window, then type /Library/LaunchAgents, and click on the Go button.
- In the LaunchAgents folder, you must find and delete any files that you think may be linked to Search Marquis. It can help if you sort the items in that folder by date to see the most recently created ones at the top.
- If you suspect a given file but are not sure that it is from the hijacker, you can use the next free online scanner to test the file for malware:
Each file will be scanned with up to 64 antivirus programs to ensure maximum accuracyThis scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users.This file is not matched with any known malware in the database. You can either do a full real-time scan of the file or skip it to upload a new file. Doing a full scan with 64 antivirus programs can take up to 3-4 minutes per file.Drag and Drop File Here To ScanAnalyzing 0 s
- If the file gets flagged as malicious, you should delete it by dragging it to the Trash. Here are several common name examples of malware files that you may find in the LaunchAgents folder:
- If you see any of those files there, be sure to delete them even if the scanner doesn’t flag them as malicious.
- Press Commend + Shift + G again and this time type ~/Library/Application Support and then click on Go.
- Look at the folders in contained in the Application Support folder and delete ones that seem suspicious and have been added recently. Examples of common names of malicious folders are:
- The next folders you must check for suspicious items are ~/Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons. Go to them in the same way (from the Go window) and delete any items in them that seem like they could be from the hijacker.
- In the LaunchDaemons folder, some of the malware files you may encounter are:
- If you see any of those files, delete them even if the scanner doesn’t recognize them as malicious.
How to Remove Search Marquis from Safari
- Go to the Safari menu/Preferences/Extensions and delete the Search Marquis extension.
- Open Preferences > General and restore your regular homepage.
- From Preferences, select Privacy and then Remove All Website Data.
- Select the History menu, Clear History, select the All History setting, and confirm the action.
Detailed how-to remove Search Marquis from Safari Instructions
- Open Safari, go to its Safari menu and select Preferences.
- Click on the Extensions tab and look at the extension items that Safari has.
- Delete any extension in there that looks like it has been added without your permission, that you don’t recognize, or that you think looks questionable and potentially related to the hijacker.
- From Preferences, select General, and check the current address of the homepage. If it isn’t the one that you prefer and is instead one placed by Search Marquis, change it back to the homepage address that you want.
- Go to the Privacy from Preferences and click on the Remove All Website Data and then select Remove Now.
- Select the History menu of Safari, click on the Clear History button, select the All History option as a time range, and click on Clear History to confirm the action.
How to Remove Search Marquis from Mac
- Type chrome://settings in the URL bar and hit Enter.
- Open Extensions and then find and delete the Search Marquis add-on.
- Delete other suspicious extensions if you see any.
- You can see if an extension is unwanted by disabling it – if this stops the ads, the extension must be deleted.
- Go back to chrome://settings and select Search Engine.
- Remove all unfamiliar search engines by clicking on the three-dots next to them and then on the Remove button.
Detailed how-to remove Search Marquis from Mac Instructions
- Open your Google Chrome browser, select the Chrome menu (three-dot icon in the top-right corner)
- Go to More Tools > Extensions.
- Like in Safari, you must delete any extensions you think could be linked to Search Marquis.
- If an extension cannot be removed, first disable it by switching off the toggle button next to it and then quickly try to remove it again.
- Next, go to Settings from the Chrome menu and select Search Engine from the left side of the screen.
- Then go to Manage Search Engines and If there are any search engines there that you don’t recognize and/or think are linked to Search Marquis, click on their respective three-dot buttons and select Remove from list.
- Go to Privacy and security from the sidebar to the left (while on the Settings page) and select the Clear browsing data option.
- Select the Advanced tab, tick all the boxes except Passwords and other sign-in data and Autofill data, set the Time range to All time, and click on Clear Data.