What is Search Marquis?
Search Marquis is perhaps the most prominent mac browser hijacker of 2020, redirecting users in masses to its search engine. What Search Marquis is starkly contrasts with its marketing and front as a privacy oriented search engine, since the settings redirecting to it are usually enforced without user consent.
An additional line in the policy states “You may remove the Offer and reset your device settings at any time” and this is very telling indeed – because many times even if you reset your device Search Marquis will not be removed and will restore itself.
How to get rid of Search Marquis
To get rid of Search Marquis on Mac:
- Type chrome://settings/ in Chrome.
- Click on the Extensions tab, then find the Search Marquis extension (and other suspicious ones).
- You can spot suspicious extensions by disabling them one by one and seeing if that stops the redirects.
- Remove Search Marquis by clicking on Remove next to it.
- Confirm to get rid of Search Marquis and any other suspicious items.
- Write chrome://settings/ again and go down to Search Engine.
- Make sure that the proper Search engine is set for Google Chrome.
Search Marquis Removal from Mac
For a quick way to remove Search Marquis from Mac, do this inside your browser:
- Open Safari, go to Preferences.
- Then navigate to Extensions.
- Search for any unfamiliar entries, including a name you can connect with Search Marquis.
- Remove Search Marquis and other suspicious item from your Safari or Chrome Mac browser by clicking on the trash icon next to them.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||A change in the browser’s homepage or the main search engine is a typical symptom of a Browser Hijacker.|
|Distribution Method||Software bundles, torrents, ads, freeware sites, shareware platforms, automatic installers.|
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading ComboCleaner to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
Above, there are two list-like sets of instructions, one each for Chrome and Safari. This is considered the fastest way to get rid of Search Marquis. Below it are the same instructions, but with more details for users who are less tech-savvy. There are also additional steps below if the quick fixes can’t properly seem to get rid of Search Marquis or it comes back repeatedly. We advise all users to read them very carefully to avoid having to wait before we answer their comments.
How to Remove Search Marquis from Mac
Follow the instructions in the order they are written. We advise you to not skip any steps even if they seem hard or the step doesn’t seem useful.
- Open the Go menu in Finder, then select Utilities.
- Find Activity Monitor icon and double-click it.
- Look for processes that seem out of place or otherwise suspicious. Look especially at entries that take up a lot of resources. Remember – the name of the process may be different from the threat, so Google anything you deem suspicious.
- If you’re not sure, locate the file of a process and upload it to our online malware scanner below. It will be scanned with over 60 AV programs, but you still need to exercise your own judgement. Use the scanner for all steps below which involve determining if a file is infected.Each file will be scanned with up to 64 antivirus programs to ensure maximum accuracyThis scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users.This file is not matched with any known malware in the database. You can either do a full real-time scan of the file or skip it to upload a new file. Doing a full scan with 64 antivirus programs can take up to 3-4 minutes per file.Drag and Drop File Here To ScanAnalyzing 0 s
- If you find something, select it and click on the Stop in the upper left. When a follow-up dialog appears, choose Force Quit.
- Press Command-Shift-Gon your keyboard at the same time.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents and click Go.
- Search the LaunchAgents folder for suspicious files. Again, use the online scanner above if you think it will be useful. The names of the malware’s files don’t always seem malicious, so look at the dates they were added and try to spot something in the files added around the time you first saw Search Marquis on your Mac.
Example names of the most common malware files: com.msp.agent.plist, com.updater.mcy.plist com.pcv.hlpramc.plist, , com.avickUpd.plist. If you find infected file, send them to the Trash.
- Press Command-Shift-G Copy paste ~/Library/Application Supportwith the symbol in front and click Go.
- What you need to do here is similar to the previous step, but it involves folders. Look at the dates and names of recently created folders which involve names like: ValidGeneration, BoostCoordinator, OperativeState, InitialWindow, AdjustableProduct. Send such folders to the Trash.
- Enter ~/Library/LaunchAgents in the Go to Folder search.
- Here, do the same as the above points. Avoid deleting anything that you know for sure is an Apple program file.
- Enter /Library/LaunchDaemons in the Go to Folder search.
- Anything here helps Search Marquis restore itself on reboot if you delete a part of it, so be especially vigilant in finding the files. Widespread malware files include pplauncher.plist, com.startup.plist, and com.ExpertModuleSearchDaemon.plist. Send anything suspicious to the Trash.
- Click on Goin the Finder, then ApplicationsIf you find an App you can connect to Search Marquis or a name from the folders in the previous steps, delete it. Input your admin password if you need to.
- Click on the Apple menu next to Finder and choose System Preferences->Users & Groups->Login Items. The following is a list of things launched on system startup. If you see something that you don’t think should be there, click the minus button.
- Back in System Preferences choose Profiles. On the left, look for a profile that shouldn’t be there. Look for names you can’t recognize like Chrome Settings (yes, even this), Main Search Platform. Select the minus sign below to remove Search Marquis’s profiles.