Mazy Search is a classic representative of the browser hijacker class of software applications. Mazy Search targets most popular web browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and others. Also, Mazy Search is compatible with all of the latest Windows OS versions.
“The purpose of Mazy Search is to launch browser.mazysearch.com, making it the default search engine address, homepage, and new tab.”
This is a guarantee that users will visit this address when they open a browser, a new tab, and enter search queries in the URL bar. Browser.mazysearch.com does not generate unique results generated by Google, it redirects users to google.com and this makes it very useless.
What is Mazy Search?
Mazy Search is a typical example of a browser hijacker. Mazy Search is almost identical to Capita Search and Optimum Search. The term browser hijacker originates from the fact that once a program like this lands in your system, it will ‘hijack’ your browser by altering a whole bunch of its settings as once. And it does this in a rather aggressive fashion, without asking for your approval or even giving you the chance to change these settings back. Most notably, though, browser hijackers like Mazy Search are infamous for their ad-generating capabilities.
Mazy Search is Controlling This Setting
Mazy Search is Controlling This Setting is a message possibly indicating that Mazy Search will be hard to delete.
“Many engines detect this file: Kaspersky (Not-a-virus:HEUR:AdWare.MSIL.KabanIns.gen), Avast (Win32:AdwareSig [Adw]), ESET-NOD32 (A Variant Of MSIL/Adware.TekhNetvork.A), VirusTotal
A possible solution to the Mazy Search is Controlling This Setting:
1. In your search bar search for the Registry Editor.
2. Now click on the “arrow” next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
3. Go to SOFTWARE.
4. Next, go to POLICIES.
5. Now Navigate to GOOGLE.
6. Finally, go to CHROME.
6. Press the “arrow” next to Google Chrome, in the folder called “Extensions”, search for Mazy Search and delete it!
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||Popups, banners, box messages, page redirects, and various other online ads flooding your screen during browsing sessions.|
|Distribution Method||Most commonly as an added component to the installation managers of various forms of freeware and shareware.|
Some threats reinstall themselves if you don't delete their core files. We recommend downloading SpyHunter to remove harmful programs for you. This may save you hours and ensure you don't harm your system by deleting the wrong files.
How to Remove Mazy Search
To remove Mazy Search from Google Chrome:
- Go to your Google Chrome browser’s settings.
- Type chrome://settings/ in your Chrome type bar.
- Then click on the Extensions tab.
- Find the Mazy Search extension (as well as any other unfamiliar ones).
- Remove Mazy Search by clicking on the Remove icon next to its name.
- Confirm and get rid of Mazy Search and any other suspicious items.
- Now, click on the three-dotted line in your Chrome upper right corner.
- Click on Settings.
- Scroll down to the Search Engine part.
- Make sure that the Search engine used in the address bar is set to Google Chrome.
If you have a Mac virus, please use our How to remove Ads on Mac guide.
If you have an Android virus, please use our Android Malware Removal guide.
If you have an iPhone virus, please use our iPhone Virus Removal guide.