This page aims to help you remove Wpad.dat Virus. These Wpad.dat Virus removal instructions work for every version of Windows.
If you landed on this page, then you most probably have been infected with Wpad.dat Virus – a nasty Trojan horse, which has recently been reported as one of the latest online threats. Security experts classify Trojans as one of the most harmful types of malware one could encounter, therefore being infected with Wpad.dat Virus, you should really remove it from your machine as soon as possible. But what exactly can this Trojan do and how to effectively clean your system from it? This is what we are going to cover here, so make sure you read the information below to gain a better understanding of this malware. Then, you can proceed to the special removal guide we have prepared so you can get rid of the infection.
Trojan horses – malicious scripts with various functions.
Trojan horses are fearful online threats and so is Wpad.dat Virus – one of the latest representatives of this malicious family. It has been created by criminal hackers, who can use it to perform almost unlimited destructive deeds to the users and their machines. It can usually infect you if you click on some fake ads like the intrusive pop-ups and banners you come across, torrents, shareware platforms, videos, illegal software, spam emails, and attachments. What makes it different than the rest of the online threats and computer viruses is it’s the way it invades your PC and then harms it. A Trojan horse like this one usually tries to remain unnoticed for as long as possible. This means that there is a great chance that you may not realize that such a threat has compromised your machine until the very end where their computer has already been damaged. That’s why, most security experts, including our team, would advise you to use good antivirus software to detect such threats on time. Make it a habit of scanning your system frequently. Also, ensure that you are getting the latest updates and virus definitions. This will help your antivirus identify even the latest Trojans and harmful threats.
What can happen to your machine if you’ve been infected with Wpad.dat Virus?
Frankly speaking, no one can tell you exactly what kind of damage a Trojan horse can do. This is one of its most frightening aspects. A threat like Wpad.dat Virus could be used by the hackers for a number of malicious activities. Here, we will point out just some of the most common harmful actions to give you an idea about the capabilities of the threat on your machine.
- Changes to your Wpad.dat configuration settings – lan and otherwise.
- Severe system destruction and malfunction. The criminals may use the Trojan to create chaos on your PC, crash your system, take control over it or turn it into a bot. This way, they can easily involve it into some illegal activities like the virus and spam distribution or use its resources for their criminal deeds.
- Data and identity theft. With the help of a Trojan, the hackers may easily compromise your entire machine and all the information on it. This way, they can have access to personal information, sensitive details about you, your family, your health condition, work, projects and various personal details. They may also gain access to your online accounts and profiles, steal your identity and commit various crimes on your behalf. Isn’t this quite frightening?
- Keylogging and money theft. The Trojan can also be used to help hackers to record everything you type on your keyboard and then easily steal your credit or debit card numbers, your passwords and online banking details.
- Spying on you. A threat like Wpad.dat Virus could heavily compromise your personal life and privacy as well. The hackers may use it to spy on your professional or personal life with the idea to collect some private or confidential data, abuse you physically and mentally or blackmail you.
- Infecting you with other viruses. A very popular way to deliver another virus or a threat like Ransomware on the user’s machine is a Trojan horse. Due to its tricky nature, a threat like Wpad.dat Virus can help any malware easily sneak inside the PC undetected.
- The hackers may just have fun with your compromised PC. You never know how sick the mind of the criminal hackers is. Sometimes, they may simply want to entertain themselves by formatting your disks, deleting your data, destroying certain files, making modifications to your system or cracking the entire PC.
These are just some of the nasty things that may happen, and there are surely even more dreadful things that a Trojan could be used for. However, even this would be enough for you to understand the harmfulness of the infection and take immediate action to remove it. The guide below can help you do that, so you just make sure you closely follow the instructions to effectively get rid of the infection.
|Danger Level||High (Trojans are often used as a backdoor for Ransomware)|
|Symptoms||Very hard to detect malware. Changes to your Wpad.dat Configuration settings.
|Distribution Method||Fake ads like the intrusive pop-ups and banners you daily come across to, torrents, shareware platforms, videos, illegal software, spam emails, and attachments.|
Wpad.dat Virus Removal
Some of the steps will likely require you to exit the page. Bookmark it for later reference.
Reboot in Safe Mode (use this guide if you don’t know how to do it).
This is the most important step. Do not skip it if you want to remove Wpad.dat Virus successfully!
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC at the same time and go to the Processes Tab. Try to determine which processes are dangerous.
Right click on each of them and select Open File Location. Then scan the files with our free online virus scanner:
This scanner is free and will always remain free for our website's users. You can find its full-page version at: https://howtoremove.guide/online-virus-scanner/
After you open their folder, end the processes that are infected, then delete their folders.
Note: If you are sure something is part of the infection – delete it, even if the scanner doesn’t flag it. No anti-virus program can detect all infections.
Hold together the Start Key and R. Type appwiz.cpl –> OK.
You are now in the Control Panel. Look for suspicious entries. Uninstall it/them. If you see a screen like this when you click Uninstall, choose NO:
Type msconfig in the search field and hit enter. A window will pop-up:
Startup —> Uncheck entries that have “Unknown” as Manufacturer or otherwise look suspicious.
- Remember this step – if you have reason to believe a bigger threat (like ransomware) is on your PC, check everything here.
Hold the Start Key and R – copy + paste the following and click OK:
A new file will open. If you are hacked, there will be a bunch of other IPs connected to you at the bottom. Look at the image below:
If there are suspicious IPs below “Localhost” – write to us in the comments.
To remove parasite on your own, you may have to meddle with system files and registries. If you were to do this, you need to be extremely careful, because you may damage your system.
If you want to avoid the risk, we recommend downloading SpyHunter - a professional malware removal tool - to see whether it will find malicious programs on your PC.
Type Regedit in the windows search field and press Enter.
Once inside, press CTRL and F together and type the virus’s Name. Right click and delete any entries you find with a similar name. If they don’t show up this way, go manually to these directories and delete/uninstall them:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—–Random Directory. It could be any one of them – ask us if you can’t discern which ones are malicious.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER—-Software—Microsoft—Internet Explorer—-Main—- Random
If the guide didn’t help you, download the anti-virus program we recommended or ask us in the comments for guidance!